cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Tranciever module port on Catalyst 2960X stops working

jeremyculver
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Catalyst 2960-X 48FPS-L with an uplink in port 52 using a tranciever module which is connected using an ethernet cable to a Catalyst 2960G on port 4.  The link has been working for a few weeks, however today it went down.  Both ports show that they are down and down.  Investigation shows that the 2960-X sees the tranciever module but it shows its not connected.

I am unable to get the port to come up even if i remove the tranciever module and reinsert.  If the switch is rebooted it comes back up and remains line this for a few weeks and then the same occurs again.

This has happened in at least two of these switches so far.  The 2960X is runningthe below software release.

Switch#sh ver
Cisco IOS Software, C2960X Software (C2960X-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.2(6)E2, R ELEASE SOFTWARE (fc4)

What can be the cause of this issue?

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@jeremyculver wrote:

If the switch is rebooted it comes back up and remains line this for a few weeks and then the same occurs again.

Sounds like a bug.  
Upgrade the firmware to a more recent version.

@jeremyculver:

I believe you are using GLC-T= SFP module for connecting 2960G switch. Have you checked whether that SFP module is purchased from Cisco or somewhere else. Apart from that you can connect 2960G switch to UTP port and Test whether you have same problem or the issue with SFP module.

if doesn't work then go for a firmware upgrade.

@mohammedshahidali88 The module is a genuine CISCO module.  I have tried swapping out the module and that has no effect.  The GLC-T module resides in the 2960-X, and i have tried connecting to different copper ports on 2960G with no difference.  I have upgraded the firmware to 15.2(7)E2 to see whether this fixes the issue.  

@Leo Laohoo Thanks for your response.  I have upgraded firmware to 15.2(7)E2.  Interfaces are both up.  So now i wait to see whether it will remain up longer than two weeks (interfaces always goes down within two weeks).

Hello,

the bug below might apply...

2960x remain down randomly with GLC-TE in uplink ports
CSCvk44218
Description
Symptom:
Uplink ports with GLC-TE on 2960X, running IOS 15.2(2)E8, goes down after sometime and it is not able to bring up again only after the reload the interface came up, but the issue is going to happen again. "show idprom" gives the following error.

hulc_sfp_iic_intf_read_eeprom sfp _index 0 yeti_iic_read_retry fai

Conditions:
This issue could occur when I2C bus gets hung and switch not able to collect link status from GLC-T and other Fiber SFP's.

Workaround:
Reload the switch to recover from this condition temporately.

Further Problem Description:
none

Better go for a RMA or upgrade of IOS version.

Restarting the Switch in Live Environment is very difficult.

Workaround:
Reload the switch to recover from this condition temporately.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card