Views
Helpful
Replies

Transceiver Support on Cisco 4506 Sup 8E Uplink Ports

License
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Experts,

We have a Cisco 4506 Sup 8E with 8 10 GE uplink ports. I am planning to buy the  10GE SR SFP+ transceivers for this. And our requirement is to connect the HP Blade Server to these ports.

1) Is the transceiver compatible with these ports?

2) Can I connect the Server Directly to the UPLINKS? 

Waiting for kind response.

Thanks

Abdul

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

casanavep
Level 3
Level 3

- You can connect directly to Sup ports, AKA Uplink ports, but not necessarily thought of as best practice. There is technically nothing wrong with doing it

- How close is the server to the switch? If extremely close (i.e. same or adjacent rack), I would use DAC cables.  They tend to have further vendor to vendor compatibility, are cheaper than optics and patch cables, and tend to have significantly higher MTF over optics and optical cables.  If beyond 10m but under 30m, you can look at AOC cables instead (same benefits). Also, no worry of dust, self-enclosed; so, no need to clean optical sockets and cable tips when changing cables

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

casanavep
Level 3
Level 3

- You can connect directly to Sup ports, AKA Uplink ports, but not necessarily thought of as best practice. There is technically nothing wrong with doing it

- How close is the server to the switch? If extremely close (i.e. same or adjacent rack), I would use DAC cables.  They tend to have further vendor to vendor compatibility, are cheaper than optics and patch cables, and tend to have significantly higher MTF over optics and optical cables.  If beyond 10m but under 30m, you can look at AOC cables instead (same benefits). Also, no worry of dust, self-enclosed; so, no need to clean optical sockets and cable tips when changing cables

Hello Casanavep,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Hi

For future references I share the following link where you will find the compatibility per device:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/GE_Tx_Matrix.html

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Thanks Julio..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card