cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Troubleshooting Trunking between 3560 and a WS-C6509-E

parakiteiz
Level 1
Level 1

I have both sides configured the same on these two switches but I can not ping the ip's on the other side from the 6509.

int Gig3/3

Switchport

Switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan allowed 192-195, 253, 254, 999

switchport mode trunk

I have use the command sh int trunk and everything appears to be trunking just fine. Those Vlan's are created on both sides.  What other commands can I use to rule out a trunking problem?  I keep trying to ping the ip address on the 3560 (*.*192.1) from the 6509. and still not joy.

Addition:

So I just did a show mac-address table on the int0/49 port on the 3506 and I see all the VLANS hitting that port from the 6509 so the trunking has to be working right?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

procopius1980
Level 1
Level 1

The show int trunk command should confirm that trunking is correct between the switches.  However, we need to know what vlan id you are using for management.  Also, we need to see the output of the management vlans on each switch.  Also, check the show ip int brief command and make sure your management vlans are up up.  They need to look like this:

Vlan631                10.6.31.1       YES manual up                    up

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Which switch is doing the inter vlan routing (presumably the 6500) ?

Is the 3560 switch acting only as L2 or L3 ?

Can you confirm the above and post the configuration of the 3560.

Jon

procopius1980
Level 1
Level 1

The show int trunk command should confirm that trunking is correct between the switches.  However, we need to know what vlan id you are using for management.  Also, we need to see the output of the management vlans on each switch.  Also, check the show ip int brief command and make sure your management vlans are up up.  They need to look like this:

Vlan631                10.6.31.1       YES manual up                    up

Procopius1980

Your comment got me the closest. I did not have a management ip address in the management vlan. Your example showed me I needed one. Once I added it and did a not shut I was good to go.

Hello

Is the 3560 ruining as a host switch or Layer 3?

sh ip route

no ip routing

ip default-gateway x.x.x.x

Also has the defined vlans been propagated into the vtp database of this switch?

sh vlan brief
sh vtp status

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card