cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

trunk port c3750

mialbert
Level 1
Level 1

I have a c3750 switch that connect to a utm firewall on one if it's ports.  I need to trunk that port so that it will carry the voice vlan.  If i configure the port as a trunk port with below configuration during the day, will that cause any significant service disruption for the utm firewall?

interface gi0/1

switchport encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If this is a brand new connection you are making then there will not be any service disruption to the firewall. If this is an existing connection and interface gi0/1 is in access mode in production, switching it to trunk port will cause a short disruption.

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If this is a brand new connection you are making then there will not be any service disruption to the firewall. If this is an existing connection and interface gi0/1 is in access mode in production, switching it to trunk port will cause a short disruption.

HTH

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi, 

If it is new port configuration then there will be no issue if you are not going to make any wrong routing/IP/VLAN etc. But it is exiting port in the access mode and you plan to convert it in trunk mode then its depend on your speed of port configuration on both end and some delay for trunk negotiation also. 

It is advised to make changes after the office hours and with a short down time. 

Thanks, 

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card