cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunk Question

scooter817
Level 2
Level 2

Currently we have a remote site that has a Cisco 1921 router that has a Net gear switch attached to it. But we are redoing the network and we are getting rid of the 1921 router and installing a Meraki MX 65W. And we are replacing the Net gear with a 24 port 2960 switch and then we have a location downstairs that we are putting in an 8 port 2960.My question is I know that I have to create trunk from the 24 port switch to the Meraki so I'm configuring port gi1/0/24 as the trunk that's going to plug into port 1 on the Meraki. Now on the 8 port which is going to plug into the 24 port do I create a trunk on both ends, for example port 1 on the 8 port create a trunk and the port I'm going to plug into on the 24 port is port 1 create a trunk or do I just create a trunk on port 1 on the 8 port and leave port 1 on the 24 port as an access port.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

For the connection from the 2960 24 port to the 8 port it needs to be identical on both sides. So if the requirement is to have multiple VLANs on the 8 port switch then it will need to be a trunk on both sides. If the need is to have only one VLAN, you could set the 24 port switch port as an access port in the necessary VLAN and do the same on the 8 port switch.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

For the connection from the 2960 24 port to the 8 port it needs to be identical on both sides. So if the requirement is to have multiple VLANs on the 8 port switch then it will need to be a trunk on both sides. If the need is to have only one VLAN, you could set the 24 port switch port as an access port in the necessary VLAN and do the same on the 8 port switch.

Hope this helps

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card