Views
Helpful
Replies

trunk with a vlan number

reashad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

our backup server is connect with cisco 3750. that port is configued as Trunk VLAN100. for other sw to sw links we are using VLAN1 trunk. 

my question is trunk allows all vlan traffic to pass then why they have put vlan100 instead of vlan1  there ? what might be the benefit. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

reashad
Level 1
Level 1

thank you for your replies.

i figured out that backup server was not directly connected with cisco 3750. it was connected via Ruggedcom switches(ROS). and on that platform configuring a port with VLAN 10 TRUNK means "native vlan 10" on cisco

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Hard to tell whiteout seeing the actual config but with trunk ports some engineers add the specific vlan (in this case 100) that is needed. This way vlan 1 and 100 can pass and no others. If you don't specify the specific vlans, all vlans will pass. This is usually a good security practice as well.

HTH

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @reashad ,

Could you share the configurations of the interfaces you mention?

Regards

reashad
Level 1
Level 1

thank you for your replies.

i figured out that backup server was not directly connected with cisco 3750. it was connected via Ruggedcom switches(ROS). and on that platform configuring a port with VLAN 10 TRUNK means "native vlan 10" on cisco

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: