Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunking Serial Connection??

drikilbride
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I need to know if it is possible to trunk a serial link through two switches.

I two serial links in a building both coming in at different locations. Our comms room has one serial link with a link balancer. The serial connection is plugged directly into one of the external interfaces of the link balancer.

We would like our second serial connection to also be plugged into the link balancer - into the second external interface.

The problem is this connection is at the other end of the building.

My boss thinks we can trunk the connection up to the comms room then plug it direct into the external interface of the link balancer although I am not 100% sure of this.

I will attach a diagram that will hopefully make it clearer. I just need to know is it possible to do this or will the phyical serial connection actually need to be moved to the comms room?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Well if you have a serial to enternet converter modem on the other side, Room B, you can have that ethernet link of the converter connected to switch and have it passed to Room A over the trunk link over a dedicated Vlan. Once your connection is in Room A, you have to connect a port from that specific vlan to your link balancer on the ethernet port. If you will do all NAT and routing related configuration on your link load balancer, the easiest would be to have two serial top ethernert converter modems on both Room A and B, connect them on the same vlan and put it back on link balancer on ethernet port to route them outside.

Cheers,

-amit singh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card