cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trying to make a 3580 an unmanaged or Dumb Switch

zday71
Level 1
Level 1

I am new to the Cisco world and I am trying to make a Catalyst 3850 a dumb or unmanaged switch. I have the ports on the same vlan but can't ping between workstations. I can ping all worstations from the switch and ping the Vlan IP from the workstations but I cant get the workstations to talk to one another. Is there something that I am missing? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
are they all on same subnet in TCP/IP settings , gateways is correct ? vlan same subnet ?
check arp table is complete , show ip arp

if you want it unmanaged dont give the vlan an ip address , thats a dumb switch really something you dont even manage remotely like a hub or low end switch

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
are they all on same subnet in TCP/IP settings , gateways is correct ? vlan same subnet ?
check arp table is complete , show ip arp

if you want it unmanaged dont give the vlan an ip address , thats a dumb switch really something you dont even manage remotely like a hub or low end switch

I had them all on the same Vlan but I have taken them out of the vlan. The IPs are the same and the default. All the IP settings are correct. I am looking at the ARP table and see that all IPS are correct

once there on same subnet same vlan and same range they can talk by arp they dont require routing to speak to each other
is there anything on these machines firewall software etc that may prevent them pinging out , try temp turn off the AV pr any firewall software just incase as you test

how did you take them out of the vlan , they should all just be default 1 as start off and should of worked in that vlan by arp speaking to each other , did you just setup another local vlan on each port with switchport access vlan x

the fact the switch could ping both pcs suggests and the arp is there suggests switch is working

Mark makes a good point that if you want to treat the 3850 as a dumb or unmanaged switch then do not configure an IP address on it. Also do not configure any vlan interface. And do not configure any vlans, just use the default vlan. Do not access the switch (not even using the console) and do not try to ping from the switch. In fact what you should do is to reset everything to factory default and do not configure anything on the switch. That makes it into a very unmanaged dumb switch.

If the issue is that PCs do not ping each other I would suggest that the first thing to do is to check for any firewall on the PCs that might be preventing ping.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card