Views
Helpful
Replies

TWO Laptops connected through Crossover cable but not pinging from both sides

ashish7aditya
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have two laptops and have connected them through cat6 crossover cable(<2m).

I have assigned IPs from same subnet(10.1.1.1/8 & 10.1.1.2/8) . G.W is 10.1.1.10

One PC is able to ping other while second PC is not able to ping 1st PC(Req time out).

What possibly could be the issue?

I cleared DNS catch(ipconfig /flushdns). And after a while it start working.i.e. ping successful from either side. Was this the issue of catch only?

BR!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

Possibly they had old arp entrys and when these were refeshed you then could ping sucesssfully

Also you dont require default gateways within the same subnet for this example to work

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Usually with windows, it is possible windows firewall would have been blocking the ICMP requests. I don't think clearing the DNS cache would have solved the problem, unless you were ping'ing the hostname maybe?

The test would have been to check the arp cache on either PC to see if it had an entry for the other PC. or even a sniffer, like wireshark.

Bilal

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Thanks everyone.

It is working fine after I run the cmd

#Netsh interface ip delete arpcache

BR!

Arjun Sarkar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello ,

Can you please run wiresahark on both the Pcs and check if the ARP is build for non-workingn Pc.

Best RegardS

Arjun

Hello

Possibly they had old arp entrys and when these were refeshed you then could ping sucesssfully

Also you dont require default gateways within the same subnet for this example to work

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco