cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

two of my 2950s vlan99 one will not...

thunderbirdx336
Level 1
Level 1

I'm pretty much a newbie, but here is my situation...

I want to backup the IOS on my switches, all three are 2950s, two have c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.EA4.bin and one has c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.EA8.bin

The ones with the ...EA4.bin I can do this:

en

conf t

int vlan 99

ip address 192.168.1.10 255.255.255.0

no shut

exit

int fa 0/18

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 99

Now, the port status LED will go green if I go slowly and wait for it, but the instant I issue the last (switchport access vlan 99) command on the switch with the ...EA8.bin the LED goes amber and I cannot ever ping or tftp

I believe that these are factory default, I am pretty sure I did that to all of them when I bought them. When I run 'show run' the configs are all the same anyway...

I just don't get why two of them work exactly as I would expect, when I 'sh vlan' the two working ones show vlan99 but the non-working one does not but 'sh run' shows the same on all three machines.

I'd like to get that issue solved, of course, but additionally, I wonder if there is an easier way to tftp, or is the vlan necessary?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Gary,

The vlans cannot be created when the device is running in VTP Client mode. As you are aware that there are 3 modes in VTP( i.e Server , Client & Transparent).

You can add,delete,modify the vlans in Server and Transparent mode only. Client mode only accepts the information which been populated by server and passed by transparent.

Hence here are the steps:

1- Check who is the VTP server mode?

2- Configure the vlans on VTP server mode

3- Once the configuration has been made and if you have the same domain configured between the switches in server and client mode and have the proper trunk configured between them then you would see the vlans getting synchronized amongst them.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

View solution in original post

Doing a factory reset will do the trick as this removes the switch from the VTP domain. Alternatively you can issue the command "vtp mode transparent" which means that the switch will no longer participate in the VTP domain and if you create a VLAN on a VTP server it will not be created on this switch (though the switch will propagate VTP advertisements to other switches downstream).

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In addition to the SVI for vlan 99, you also need to create the layer-2 vlan

config t

vlan 99

name for-tftp-use

exit

also under interface 0/18

add

spann portfast

and test again.

HTH

thunderbirdx336
Level 1
Level 1

what is SVI?

I will try what you suggested and report back what I find... why do two of the switches respond just fine but one does not? Is it something about the different IOS?

from your config, this is svi

conf t

int vlan 99

ip address 192.168.1.10 255.255.255.0

no shut

just type this

vlan 99

exit

inter fa0/18

spanning portfast

'name for-tftp-use is just description you don't need it

HTH

ok, perhaps this will help... to the 'vlan 99' command the uncooperative switch responded with:

VTP VLAN configuration not allowed when device is in CLIENT mode.

I have no idea what that means... I tried these same commands on one of the switches that IS cooperating and did not get that error message...

Hi Gary,

The vlans cannot be created when the device is running in VTP Client mode. As you are aware that there are 3 modes in VTP( i.e Server , Client & Transparent).

You can add,delete,modify the vlans in Server and Transparent mode only. Client mode only accepts the information which been populated by server and passed by transparent.

Hence here are the steps:

1- Check who is the VTP server mode?

2- Configure the vlans on VTP server mode

3- Once the configuration has been made and if you have the same domain configured between the switches in server and client mode and have the proper trunk configured between them then you would see the vlans getting synchronized amongst them.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

Inayath & Reza,

Thanks for the help... I remember working on a CCNA lab a while back in which I had to configure the switch with VTP, I had forgotten about that. How can one just get it out of Client mode? Is there a default mode for VTP or can it just be shut off? Out of frustration last night I finally just did a factory reset and started fresh... all went well after that but I cannot rely on brute-force methods like that always...

-Gary

Doing a factory reset will do the trick as this removes the switch from the VTP domain. Alternatively you can issue the command "vtp mode transparent" which means that the switch will no longer participate in the VTP domain and if you create a VLAN on a VTP server it will not be created on this switch (though the switch will propagate VTP advertisements to other switches downstream).

Thanks very much to you all!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card