Helpful
Replies

uBR10000 cable modem issue

ainhoa.garcia
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!!

We are having some problems with the following:

We have an uBR10000 with MC520U_D_connector connected in the slots. The issue is that all the cable modems connected to one of the upstream in one of the cards stays at the state initial and they didn`t started to register until we make shutdown/no shutdown in the upstreams.

The IOS version is 12.2(33)SCC5, and from what I have seen at the logs there is one error message that says the following:

%UBR7100-3-MACADDRERR (x)  %UBR7200-3-MACADDRERR  %UBR10000-3-MACADDRERR: DHCP
Msg with non unicast MAC address. Master Interface [chars] Input Interface [chars]
SID = [dec] MAC = [enet]

Explanation: An internal software error may have occurred.

I don`t where the error is, so I would be grateful if someone could hepl me solving this issue.

Don`t hesitate to ask for more information ok?

Best regards,

Ainhoa

3 Replies 3

Dheebshiba Dinakaran
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi,

i do understand that there are some error messages that are being observed. However, i would like to know if there's any impact? did you observe any crash? (on the modules?)

based on the above answer, i would help you out as there are many bugs related to this issue.

thank you.

cheers!

DB

hi,

If possible, could you send in the show log? just wanted to check if there are other error messages.

thank you.

Cheers!
DB

Hi,

To echo Dheebsiba's request - you might want to find the MAC-address of the modem or CPE throwing this message and do a "debug cable mac-address verbose" and "Debug cable dhcp" debug.

This message is telling us that the incoming DHCP Discover is sourced from a non-unicast MAC address type. E.g. where the mac address global bit is set to 1.

Typically this makes no sense as the source-mac on the L2 of a DHCP frame should be an unicast source (global bit set to 0). I recommend you check out the CM or CPE issuing this DHCP Discover.

HTH,

Jack

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card