Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to access configuration terminal

Ipefixe
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,
I just received a new Cisco WS-C2960L-SM-16PS switch with version 15.2 (7) E0a.
I connected to the switch via the console cable, I entered the connection identifiers to enable, then I entered the command "conf t" and an error message appeared:

Switch # conf t
           ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Switch #

However, when I try to execute "conf t" in CLI HTTPS, it seems to work:

#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL / Z.

Could someone explain to me the procedure to follow in order to configure my switch ?

Thank you in advance and good day !

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Switch # conf t

not sure about typed command typo.

make sure there is no space  before conf t like below and let us know.

Switch#config t

also try other commands ? show version ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi,

Finally I found the problem myself by doing a lot of research ... it seems that this model "Smart Managed" only has the GUI management interface for configuration and that CLI commands are only limited to enable commands and not configure.

Thank you for your help...

Good stuff, you could able to manage your self.....cheers!

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Within the 2960L switches there are 2 categories. One category is the regular 2960L switch which can be managed and configured both by a GUI and by CLI. The other category of 2960L are the Smart Managed switches and I believe that your switch is in that category. I hope this link may be helpful. Look especially in the Product Overview which explains that the Smart Managed switches are configured by their web interface and provide a very limited CLI capability for troubleshooting and monitoring.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-2960-l-series-switches/nb-06-cat2960-l-ser-data-sheet-cte-en.html#SwitchModelsandConfigurations

HTH

Rick

While I was researching and writing my suggestion you found your own solution. Congratulations and a well deserved +5. I am happy when I see a post in the community and then see that the poster has managed to find their own solution and has shared it with the rest of the community.

HTH

Rick

Thanks for your help and Helpful Richard !

You are welcome. This community is an excellent place to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card