cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to access switch on management vlan

roark-michael
Level 1
Level 1

I got an alert form solarwinds stating that switch is down. i treid to ping it and could not ping it. I logged into the distrobution stack that the switch was attached to and was able to ping and access the switch. I have 20 switches hanging off of the distrobution stack, i can reach all of them but this one specific switch(10.82.142.213). I did a stare and compare from a switch that i can access and the one that i cannot. All the configs are the same. the only differance is the ip address. I changed the ip address on the switch that i could not access to an ip address that i could access. still unable to get to the switch unless I try from the distro switch. I can't ping the .213 switch from the core either, I sent the ping packets with the source id as .142. I spoke with the site IT admin and he said that there was no changes made to thier enviroment. Attacked is the show run from the .213 switch. The PC's connected to the switch can access everything, there is no issue with the useers, just seems to be the mangement access to the switch. Any ideas why i can't get to the switch unless I'm connected to the distro switch?

Access                Distribution           Core
10.82.142.213 -> 10.82.142.200 -> 10.82.142.1

Vlan 142

Ping from Dist 10.82.142.200 -> 10.82.142.213 Good

Ping from Core 10.82.142.1 -> 10.82.142.213  Unsucseccful

21 Replies 21

That is correct, we are using /24 mask on vlan 142 on all devices.

Thanks

Michael

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Have you tried flushing the arp and mac tables on the 2960 ?    Might be something to try even though the tables look ok , have seen stranger things happen .

Cleared Arp and Mac tables on the 2960, still not able to access. I have a TAC case open, so far engineer cannot find any reason why we cannot access switch.

We did some packet captures, the switch is getting arp request from the core switch. The access switch is not sending any response back. TAC has not found any issues with the confiigs, or why the switch wil not respond to arp. TAC is going to replace the switch.

Thanks for all your help. I copied the configs from the old switch and pasted them on the new RMA'd switch and the switch works fine.

sjisanth
Level 1
Level 1
How this issue fixed ? Currently am facing the same... could you pls help me to fix it.

Hello,

this is a very long thread, what exactly is the problem? You cannot access a stack member switch ? Can you post the configuration of the switch ?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card