Views
Helpful
Replies

unable to change administrative distance for EIGRP external routes

Aoi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi
I have a very simple lab where I am trying to redistribute RIP 192.168.100.0/24 to EIGRP applying a different AD value for the external route. However, I am seeing the default 170 for the advertisements I receive on Router2.

Could any experts see what is causing this issue?

Router1

router eigrp 1
network 10.1.0.0 0.0.255.255
redistribute rip metric 1000000 1 255 1 1500
distance eigrp 90 100

Router2
D EX 192.168.100.0/24 [170/3072] via 10.1.2.2, 00:00:08, GigabitEthernet0/1
[170/3072] via 10.1.1.2, 00:00:08, GigabitEthernet0/0

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

That command is for local use only I believe. So it won’t transfer to R2. 

If you want to change the distance of received routes I believe you need to use an ACL with the distance command and even then it may only work for internal routes.

Also keep in mind Administrative Distance is NON-TRANSITIVE - which means its not sent in any update - every router is programmed with the AD of each routing protocol so there is no need.

-David

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hello,

That command is for local use only I believe. So it won’t transfer to R2. 

If you want to change the distance of received routes I believe you need to use an ACL with the distance command and even then it may only work for internal routes.

Also keep in mind Administrative Distance is NON-TRANSITIVE - which means its not sent in any update - every router is programmed with the AD of each routing protocol so there is no need.

-David

Oh... I see. Thank you very much!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card