cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to change vlans on a cisco 2624

jlthorsell
Level 1
Level 1

I have a switch that accepts the relevant commands to change the vlans, but does not make any changes. I checked that vtp status is server. It is the only switch on this network. It has all ports in the default vlan and all ports are listed in the voice vlan. I want to move a port off the voice vlan.

I started with these commands:

show vlan brief

config t

interface fa0/14
no switchport mode access
no switchport access vlan 100
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 1

end

show vlan brief

NO success. The vlans didn't change.

Then I did this to check settings:

show interface fa0/14 switchport
show vtp status

It looked right.

Then I did this:

interface fa0/14
no switchport access vlan
end
show vlan brief

Hoping that would remove the port from all vlans.

STILL NO LUCK!

Any help is greatly appreciated

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Jerry,

in a Cisco switch a switchport is always associated to a Vlan so you cannot "remove the port from all vlans"

Said that, the show vlan output may reflect only the member ports that are access ports and not trunk ports this is actually platform dependent.

So to get a complete picture of vlan membership you may need to combine show vlan with show interface trunk.(again this command  is platform dependent in some low end switches you may need the show interface switchport to see trunk properties)

Besides this, show interface switchport provides the more complete information about a port either in access mode or in trunk mode including configured and operational state what is the native vlan and so on

You have done the correct steps to move a port from vlan 100 to vlan 1 in access mode, Actually you just need to use the command switchport access vlan x to move a port from a vlan to another you don't need to remove switchport mode access mode command

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mrSS
Level 1
Level 1

is this switch in production?...could be the vlan database is corrupted...u can try and delete the vlan.dat in flash, then reload...or try changing vtp to transparent and see if u can make the change...

Hi Jerry,

to modify the interface does not mean to work on the vlan  database... Try to reconfigure the vlan database with

sw# vlan database command

or

sw(config)# vlan command

and then to apply the changes to the interface.

Good Luck

Alessio

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Jerry,

in a Cisco switch a switchport is always associated to a Vlan so you cannot "remove the port from all vlans"

Said that, the show vlan output may reflect only the member ports that are access ports and not trunk ports this is actually platform dependent.

So to get a complete picture of vlan membership you may need to combine show vlan with show interface trunk.(again this command  is platform dependent in some low end switches you may need the show interface switchport to see trunk properties)

Besides this, show interface switchport provides the more complete information about a port either in access mode or in trunk mode including configured and operational state what is the native vlan and so on

You have done the correct steps to move a port from vlan 100 to vlan 1 in access mode, Actually you just need to use the command switchport access vlan x to move a port from a vlan to another you don't need to remove switchport mode access mode command

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card