cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

unable to communicate with switch via consol port

pritpal_singh30
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have two Cisco switches of same model Catalyst 2900 series XL. I am unable to give any input via console cable. I tried on HyperTerminal as well as Putty with 9600 baud rate, 8 data bits, stop bit 1 parity non, flow control xon/xoff. when I power on the switch, then all the 24x led lights remain solid green and stays like that including system led light. hyper terminal or Putty does not show any character at all, but when I try to configure router. it works perfectly fine. Can some one help me to sort the issue with my both switches. I brought these switches for my CCNA exam. Many thanks in advance

2 Replies 2

Hello,

what cable and connector are you using, rollover and RJ-45, or the DB-9 connector ?

Connecting a Terminal to the Console Port on Catalyst Switches

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6000-series-switches/10600-9.html

Hi,

If you are using a proper adapter and console cable the problem could be with the console port, although it is extremely rare it could be, the switches 2900XL were manufactured a long time ago. 

Now try to use putty and changing the baud rate values:

Image result for TERMINAL BAUD RATE VALUES

Also verify if you are using the correct COM port (although it should be ok if Router works): 

Image result for windows usb com port

No Connectivity Through the Console Check this connectivity equipment.

* Make sure that the management console line is connected to the console port on the switch.

* Make sure that the correct cable and connector are used. 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card