cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to connect Cisco switch Switch via Putty using USB Console cable (Putty is Blank)

a_r_i_e_s
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Friends,

Happy New Year !

This is my 1st post as I need your help/suggestion .Unable to connect Cisco switch Switch via Putty using USB Console cable (Putty is Blank)

1. I'm using a USB Console cable (with no converter) one end of cable is USB other is RJ45
  2. Windows 10, Cisco 9300 Switch
  3. I installed the cable driver, there is no error or Yellow "!" mark in Device Manager with COM Port. Device Status: This device is working properly. Name in Device Manager - USB-Serial CH340 (COM Port 5)
  4. I Open Putty/Tera Term, select the Serial Com PORT 5, Speed 9600 - Get blank screen (no error)
  5. I tried with Putty/Tera Term Same issue - Get blank screen (no error)
  6. I changed the Speed to 19200,115200 etc - Same issue - Get blank screen (no error)
  7. I updated the Drivers provided on Cisco Site - Same issue - Get blank screen (no error)
  8. Tried with other USB Serial Driver - Same issue - Get blank screen (no error)
  9. Tried on Another Windows 10 System - Same issue - Get blank screen (no error)
  10. Tried on Windows 7 -Same issue - Get blank screen (no error)
  11. I've 5 USB Console cable - Same issue
  12. I cut the Console cable and reverse the wiring in the RJ45 converter - same issue

Note: with same setting in Putty, Using Mini USB in the Front of Cisco Switch, I'm able to connect to the switch.

Can someone Please help me what is wrong with my cable/driver etc.

Attached is the console cable I'm using.

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cat 9300 bit confused on the back - it has console and mgmt connection make sure you connected the right port

image.png

here is the console serial settings - change the COM and SPEED ( default 9600 should work)

image.png

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks. I’ve used that setting too and in 9300 Console is on the left with Blue colour. But no luck.

Hello

In device manager of the pc check the com port you are using is defiantly correct

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thanks. I’m using the same port Ki as device manager.

a_r_i_e_s
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

Thank you for your attempt to help me. Just to let you know I got another cable from local store and that is working without any driver. no change in setting.

Seems my old cables are either not compatible with Cisco or some driver issue is there.

Old Cable is wch.cn make (not working one)

New Cale is FDTI (working one)

GoGreenRangerGo
Level 1
Level 1

I too bought this same cable earlier this week from Newegg and received yesterday and had no success with it. 

Of course the seller listed it as FTDI and compatible with Cisco which I realize now was fluff.

It's bad enough the listing didn't list the needed driver for this CH341SER but after installing it and trying every Putty Serial configuration to no avail, I read up on this some more found that these are likely Chinese knock off FTDI simulated chips that the Scottish FTDI brand had been fighting against.  It's no wonder these specific cables don't work.  I'm definitely filing for a refund on this, and just going to order me the USB converter piece for the included RJ45-serial cable.

sure suggest buying a properly certified vendor rather than wasting time. ( that is the reason cisco ship 1 cable always with the device) - but the new cable comes with USB.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card