cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to connect from Putty to Cisco Switch

cmmiller1973
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings, I'm trying to connect via serial to rj-45 to a Cisco Switch.  I'm using the following:

-Windows 7 Professional computer that has a serial port

-Putty software

-serial to rj-45 cable

-Cisco Catalyst 2900 series XL switch

My Putty settings are the following:

serial line com3

speed 9600

data bits8

stop bits 1

parity none

flow control none

I've tried to connect the RJ-45 to both the console connect and a port on the front and still not able to get a CLI.

I did find this example on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRYF62czX6g

He is using com3, where as Windows 7 Pro defaults to com1 and I'm not sure why he is using com1 or how to change it on the Windows side to com3.

thanks

18 Replies 18

david_morganl
Level 1
Level 1

Hey there,

I have this same issue (I think)!

I have 3 2950 switches, just updated them all to the new IOS to support ssh, just for practice lab stuff and general day to day messing with.

I have 1 console cable which works perfectly fine (tested to work on all three switches and uses COM port 3 (mabye because its a laptop))

2 out of 3 switches work perfectly

The one that does not work, here is what has happened;

I was creating seperate Vlans for seperate ports using a serial connection through Putty, I assigned the only port in use onto Vlan 2 then there was nothing....

just stopped displaying output.

I have tried changing console cables for the sake of it but its not that, Ive swapped out the power cables but still no avail.

When I use the serial port to connect to the other 2/3 switches it works fine and Putty works as expected

When trying to connect through serial, telnet, ssh into this third switch there is absolutly no output, just the flashing green cursor.

There are also no abnormal lights on the unit, the syst light and stat light are solid green!

Any help please!!

Cheers!

ddavenpo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi KerryBresnahan - I just had the exact same issue and the exact same fix worked - I had noticed that my COM4 was labelled 'USB Serial' not 'Cisco Serial' but didn't know why - now I do - thanks for posting your fix - I'm up and running now.  Rgds ddavenpo

Hi ddavenpo - It's good to know my contribution was able to help someone. Thanks for letting me know. KerryBresnahan

m.rana.ku
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,
In the following video step by step process has been shown how to Connect Cisco Router or Switch using PuTTY and Console Cable as well as how to Change Text Color, Font Size, Background color permanently on PuTTY.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmZZ2BNGXQH1HPS3uIVnr7A?sub_confirmation=1

https://youtu.be/WQeAe8_vbLI

First Download and install PuTTY (emulator terminal software) 

Step 1: Attach the DV9 Female end of Console cable with the DV9 Male end of the USB to DV9 Serial Converter and then connect the RJ54 connector end of the Console cable to the Cisco router or Switch.
First check the COM port number

Step 2: Check the COM Port number:
=> Go Device Manager->Port (COM & LPT)-> check USB Serial Port (COM port)

Step 3: Open Putty
-> Select Connection Type to "Serial"
-> in Serial Line change the COM port number exactly which we checked in step 2.
-> click open and a black window will appear and press Enter finally it will acces the Cisco Device.
-> Type "enable" to go to privilege mode.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card