cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to connect to network using Windows7 machine

Gordiep13
Level 1
Level 1

We are trying to rollout a Windows7 build laptop onto our network.  We have 2 x 2950sx switches connected to 2 x 3560G. 

When the laptop is plugged into a port on the 2950 it gets an IP address in the correct subnet and all the correct settings as assigned by the DHCP scope, but it is unable to ping any IP address.  It will not even ping the default gateway or any other client on the same subnet. If a Windows XP build laptop is connected to the same port there is no connectivity problems.

Each 2950 has a fibre connection into the 3560 and there is a port-channel connecting the 2 x 3560's. 

After the windows7 laptop is connected to the 2950 the mac address for the laptop shows against the trunk port connected to the 3560(e.g laptop is connected to port fa0/7 but mac address shows against gi0/1).  When you login to the 3560 the mac address shows that it is on the 2950 through the connected trunk port.

There are other 2960 switches connected to the 3560 and when the Windows7 laptop is connected to a port on that switch there are no problems.  It gets an IP address and can connect to all resources.  When the laptop is connected directly into the 3560 it works without any problems.

Does anyone know why the Windows7 laptop would not register its mac address against its connected port?  After you clear the mac address table from the 2950 the Windows7 mac address appears in the table even though it is no longer connected, still listed against the trunk port connected to the 3560.

Thanks

23 Replies 23

p.mcgowan
Level 3
Level 3

have you checked the switch for a loop?

No loops on the switches. 

Would I not have the same problem if I connected a Windows XP client to the same switchport on the 2950?  Other clients on this VLAN have been working for years on this switch.

Hi,

do you have same behaviour with XP client with same MAC ?

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Afraid I have not tried that.  We just have some Windows7 build laptops that we need to deploy. 

Cheers

Hi,

yes I understand that but could you try getting an XP laptop and change the MAC of the NIC to the one of Windows 7 and see if it is still the same.

could you also send us a topology diagram.

Regards.

Alain

Hi Alain,

This is a remote site for a customer and I have no control over the laptops or desktops.  Changing the mac address would not be possible.

I will attach a diagram to show the layout

Have you checked the port security kind of thing and try doing refresh for dhcp scope....

Regards
Thanveer
"Everybody is genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is a stupid."

There is no port security issues and the port is active when the Windows7 laptop is attached.

We have tried 2 DHCP servers and the same issue happens with both machines.

Gordiep13
Level 1
Level 1

That's pretty strange. If you plug in the Windows 7 machine and get the correct IP information from your DHCP server, it is obviously communicating successfully. Is the DHCP server on the same subnet as the client and or is there a 'ip helper-address x.x.x.x' statement to point towards a DHCP server on a different subnet.

Also, can you post the configuration for port Fa0/7?

Now, you said when you plug in the computer to port Fa0/7, you're not able to ping anything even on the same subnet?

Do you see anything when you run 'show logging' on the switch and or do you have port security configured?

The laptop is on VLAN90 and the DHCP server is on VLAN10.  There is a ip-helper command on the VLAN interface of the 3560. 

In the log you see the port come up but there are no other errors after this. Logging is enabled to informational level.

Config of port fa0/7 is-

WIS129105#sh run int fa0/7

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 162 bytes

!

interface FastEthernet0/7

description PC ports

switchport access vlan 90

switchport mode access

spanning-tree portfast

spanning-tree bpduguard enable

end

I don't see anything wrong with the configuration on the port. Does this happen with other Windows 7 laptops?

We have tried 3 and they all do the same thing.

Further output showing the laptop mac address registering against the worng interface on the mac table -

Machine is connected to port 7 on WIS129105 -

Oct 16 14:37:33 UTC: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/7, changed state to up

Oct 16 14:37:34 UTC: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/7, changed state to up

WIS129105#sh mac add                     

WIS129105#sh mac address-table

Mac Address Table

-------------------------------------------

Vlan    Mac Address       Type        Ports

----    -----------       --------    -----

90    e411.5b23.905a    DYNAMIC     Gi0/1

WIS129105#sh cdp neigh

Capability Codes: R - Router, T - Trans Bridge, B - Source Route Bridge

S - Switch, H - Host, I - IGMP, r - Repeater, P - Phone

Device ID        Local Intrfce     Holdtme    Capability  Platform  Port ID

WID129252.

Gig 0/1            168         R S I     WS-C3560G-Gig 0/25

WIS129104.

Gig 0/2            153          S I      WS-C2950SXGig 0/2

Mac-address table from core -

WID129252#sh mac address-table        

Mac Address Table

-------------------------------------------

Vlan    Mac Address       Type        Ports

----    -----------       --------    -----

90    e411.5b23.905a    DYNAMIC     Gi0/25

WID129252#sh cdp neigh

Capability Codes: R - Router, T - Trans Bridge, B - Source Route Bridge

S - Switch, H - Host, I - IGMP, r - Repeater, P - Phone

Device ID        Local Intrfce     Holdtme    Capability  Platform  Port ID

SEP08000F442C97  Gig 0/11          139           H P      Mitel 533 Port 1

WID129253.

Gig 0/28          173          R S I     WS-C3560G Gig 0/28

WID129253.

Gig 0/27          173          R S I     WS-C3560G Gig 0/27

WID129110.

Gig 0/26          174           T S      WS-C2924M Fas 2/2

WIS129105.

Gig 0/25          161           S I      WS-C2950S Gig 0/1

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco