cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to get a connection from 2610XM to PC.

chimpracer
Level 1
Level 1

Hopefully I can trim this down and make it easier to understand what my issue is.

I am studying for my CCNA. I have both Lammles and Odom's books.

I put together my own equipment (from eBay).

I have :

3x 2610XM

2x 2950 EI

Before configuring everything at once, I decided to just attempt a single router.

So, I boot up one router, and connect to it via console cable.

Like I said, I am still learning so I am just practicing a little bit.

I get to a lab that is upgrading my IOS on the router which requires connecting to a TFTP server.

I install a TFTP server on my laptop, do the whole setup etc.

In my console, I do Copy tftp flash and follow the procedure perfectly except....the router can't communicate with my laptop via ethernet!

I spent a few hours working on this.

I enabled the fa0/0, and assigned it the following:

Subnet 255.255.255.0

no shutdown

I still get nothing. (I am unable to ping either way, from PC -> Router OR Router -> PC)

I check my network settings on my laptop, and it shows that it IS indeed connected! but to 169.254.53.251 with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0.

At this point im confused because its autoconfiguring that, but from where? Is that the router or my ethernet card autoconfiguring that?

So, I manually assign an IP address to the LAN, 10.10.10.2   255.255.0.0.

I then re-assign my routers ip to 10.10.10.1 255.255.0.0.

Now, I am able to ping PC ->> Router but cannot ping from Router ->> PC.

Honestly, I'm a bit at a loss, because the study books dont discuss how to set things up for the first time even though for a CCNA you are obviously new to the technology. I contacted Cisco, however they are unable to help me, so I'm praying that someone is able to assist me to get a connection so I can continue my studies!

Thanks in advance,

Christopher Boyd

3 Replies 3

jliscano
Level 1
Level 1

Hi -

If you do a "sh arp" from the router.  Are you able to see the MAC address of your PC?  If so, disable your windows firewall from the services (if your using Windows).

HTH.

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

CHRISTOPHER BOYD wrote:

Hopefully I can trim this down and make it easier to understand what my issue is.

I am studying for my CCNA. I have both Lammles and Odom's books.

I put together my own equipment (from eBay).

I have :

3x 2610XM

2x 2950 EI

Before configuring everything at once, I decided to just attempt a single router.

So, I boot up one router, and connect to it via console cable.

Like I said, I am still learning so I am just practicing a little bit.

I get to a lab that is upgrading my IOS on the router which requires connecting to a TFTP server.

I install a TFTP server on my laptop, do the whole setup etc.

In my console, I do Copy tftp flash and follow the procedure perfectly except....the router can't communicate with my laptop via ethernet!

I spent a few hours working on this.

I enabled the fa0/0, and assigned it the following:

Subnet 255.255.255.0

no shutdown

I still get nothing. (I am unable to ping either way, from PC -> Router OR Router -> PC)

I check my network settings on my laptop, and it shows that it IS indeed connected! but to 169.254.53.251 with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0.

At this point im confused because its autoconfiguring that, but from where? Is that the router or my ethernet card autoconfiguring that?

So, I manually assign an IP address to the LAN, 10.10.10.2   255.255.0.0.

I then re-assign my routers ip to 10.10.10.1 255.255.0.0.

Now, I am able to ping PC ->> Router but cannot ping from Router ->> PC.

Honestly, I'm a bit at a loss, because the study books dont discuss how to set things up for the first time even though for a CCNA you are obviously new to the technology. I contacted Cisco, however they are unable to help me, so I'm praying that someone is able to assist me to get a connection so I can continue my studies!

Thanks in advance,

Christopher Boyd

The 169.254.53.251 address is known as an APIPA (Automatic Private IP Addressing) address - it basically means your PC is configured to get a DHCP address on the interface, but after exhausting all attempts to contact a DHCP server it's given up and made up its own address.

You'll find this common in Windows PC's which are configured for DHCP but which can't get a response from the DHCP server.

To communicate with your router in your configuration, you need to MANUALLY set your IP address on the PC to something in the same IP subnet as your router.

So, in your first example (where you've assigned the router 192.168.1.11 on interface fa0/0), you need to configure the ethernet port in your PC to 192.168.1.12, same subnet mask, no default gateway (at this point - or you can assign the router IP address of 192.168.1.11 as your default gateway), and then connect it to your router.

You should then be able to PING (and everything else!) between the devices, and use your TFTP server to update your IOS.

Cheers.

Just wanted to say thanks to both of you!

I ended up reconfiguring to 10.10.10.1 (just so I wouldn't confuse myself with my wireless networks' IP addressing).

I manually configured my laptops ethernet card to 10.10.10.2

I disabled my firewalls, and bam I could connect! Got my IOS updated and now I'm good to go.

Thanks again to both of you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco