Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to Ping brand new 9300

someone wrote :

I ave a brand new 9300 with very little configuration on it.  When I get new switches I give them a bogus IP, configure a trunk port, and connect them to my network.  Once I have connectivity I use VTP, and begin configuring the switch.  

I did that with my 9300 and it will not connect up (no Ping).  What am I missing?

Interface VLan1 has valid ip and subnet mask, and is enabled.  Port is set for trunk.

I'm stumped.  This should be simple!

and then he wrote :

So this morning I fired up the switches, and tried pinging from Source VLan1 and it worked!  Now it is responding to pings from the core as well as from the switch to the core.

Thanks for your help on this.  Not sure what the issue was but it seems to be working!

now, I have the same issue. Can you please show me how to do it.? please

8 Replies 8

Hello,

just to make sure: did you use a straight cable (not a crossover) on one of the uplink ports on the active supervisor ? Your PC should be set to DHCP (as outlined in the section 'Connecting to the Switch' in the link below)...

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/hardware/install/b_c9300_hig/b_c9300_hig_chapter_01000.html

So this morning I fired up the switches, and tried pinging from Source VLan1 and it worked!  Now it is responding to pings from the core as well as from the switch to the core.

just want to know this part of the solution as I have configured the switch through command prompt not UI.

Firing up probably means reboot...did you try to reboot the switch ?

I tried but no use still.

I access the switch through con and I can ping the gateway.

the problem is just why I cant ping this switch from any pc in the network ?

I have connected my pc to the switch and I got online.so the issue with the management Vlan only but cant figure out

Which port of the 9300 you are connecting the PC ?
Also this a Catalyst 9300 and not Nexus 9300 ?

Which port of the 9300 you are connecting the PC ?

I'm connected though console cable to the new switch

my pc has a network from other switch

both switches can ping each other.

everything looks normal except pinging the new switch management Vlan.

Also this a Catalyst 9300 and not Nexus 9300?

it is Catalyst 9300 

did you use a straight cable (not a crossover) on one of the uplink ports on the active supervisor?

YEP. I am sure straight cable 

guys,

I just forgot to add

ip default-gateway x.x.x.x

problem solved.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card