cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to ping internet from VPN router

whickwire
Level 1
Level 1

I am almost entirely sure my problem is a lack of understanding but hopefully someone can't point me in the right direction.

Below is my lab at work that I am doing some testing trying to get my VPN to work. Everything so far works well but a problem I am running into is that Router 2 and my VPN router (which is connected to router 2) are unable to ping the internet. Currently Router 1 is performing NAT on the interface that the WAN is coming into (DHCP). Also it should be noted that there is no tunnel up at this time as I figured a good first step would be getting all the routers access to the WAN. The 3550 and Router 1 both work fine.

I'm trying to wrap my head around access-lists so currently on Router1 I have it permit any just to rule out and misconfiguration.

Thanks!

VPN concept (1).png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

So I think I understand the diagram and what you are trying to accomplish. When you say you can't ping the Internet from R2 or the VPN router i assume that is the Internet cloud or the Archer 750. Regardless, I assume those devices only know of R1's F0/0 DHCP address. Perhaps if you also put "ip nat inside" on the S0/0 interface of R1 you may be able to ping?

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

So I think I understand the diagram and what you are trying to accomplish. When you say you can't ping the Internet from R2 or the VPN router i assume that is the Internet cloud or the Archer 750. Regardless, I assume those devices only know of R1's F0/0 DHCP address. Perhaps if you also put "ip nat inside" on the S0/0 interface of R1 you may be able to ping?

You hit the nail on the head.

I noticed it in my config and had a ohhhh right moment. Not to bring things off topic but would making a vpn and having it go through nat require a change in the nat rules?

I don't see where the VPN gets NATed in the diagram. Is the VPN from R2 to the Internet?

I thought because the internet was coming in through the Router 1 and being NAT'd that it might in someway affect making a tunnel from a device that's not directly connected to that router.

Does that make sense?

So the tunnel connection from the VPN router goes through R1 to the Internet?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card