cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to ping when increasing the Data size?

mashokece1989
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

Actually we upgrade our MPLS link from 6mbps to 45 mbps so we checked the link using ping command,

when we given upto 1500 data size i can able to ping but morethan 1500 i can't able to ping. FYI here i enclosed the attachment

Router#ping

Protocol [ip]:
Target IP address: 172.35.131.153
Repeat count [5]: 500
Datagram size [100]: 1500
Timeout in seconds [2]:
Extended commands [n]:
Sweep range of sizes [n]:
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 500, 1500-byte ICMP Echos to 172.35.131.153, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Router#ping
Protocol [ip]:
Target IP address: 172.35.131.153
Repeat count [5]: 500
Datagram size [100]: 1501
Timeout in seconds [2]:
Extended commands [n]:
Sweep range of sizes [n]:
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 500, 1501-byte ICMP Echos to 172.35.131.153, timeout is 2 seconds:

3 Replies 3

pwwiddicombe
Level 4
Level 4

That's normal, when you exceed the standard frame size, that the provider would be blocking oversize frames. 

does it affect our bandwidth? Actually we upgrade the line  6 mbps to 45 mbps. '''''Will i need to inform to unblock the oversize frames? Is this necessary ?

Unless you have specifically configured something, standard payload generated from servers/workstations should be 1500 bytes anyway, so there shouldn't be an issue.

Now, if you have high latency on large transfers, you might want to ask your provider about jumbo frames on the WAN, but that won't be an easy fix - for them; and changes on your LAN.  For standard "lots of workstations and remote resources", you should still be able to use the bandwidth; but a test from a single workstation won't give you that if you have high latency.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card