Helpful
Replies

Unable to remotely SSH into my 3750 switch

ckozub015
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all:

Stupid question:

I have a switch that is attached to my network at a remote site a few hours away and it is online and functioning, however, I cannot SSH into it.  I believe that someone attempted to configure TACACS on it and didn't do it properly because I can't login with my ACS username and password nor can I login with the local username and password that is configured on the switch.  Any ideas how to resolve this without me driving out there and connecting with a console port??

Thanks,

Chris

4 Replies 4

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Chris,

If someone locked you out by misconfiguring the AAA then I am not sure there is any way into your device except the console. You can surely try accessing the switch using HTTP, HTTPS, Telnet and SNMP but if you have intentionally disabled them (or in case of SNMP, not enabled them for RW access), I am afraid you are out of luck. There are no magic backdoor logins/passwords into Cisco devices as far as I know.

Is there at least someone on the remote location who could connect a PC to the console port and run a TeamViewer or a similar remote session for you so you could remotely control the PC and use it to access the switch via console?

Best regards,

Peter

or if you're sure that it is misconfigured AAA, you can try deleting the device from ACS (or whatever your tacacs server is).

That should be enough for it to fail and fall back to local login. Just a thought

Hi,

Hmmm - not a bad idea! The only uncertain thing is whether the switch actually is configured for a fallback to local authentication - but this is surely worth trying.

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks guys.  Those are some good ideas.  Unfortunately the removal option from ACS was unsuccessful.  I'm going to try the route of getting someone to connect to it locally and me remoting into their PC.  Thanks for the help!! 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card