cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to route data between primary ip and secondary ip networks

KeithCopeland
Level 1
Level 1

We an 887m router in our office with an unmanaged switch. We have two networks, 192.168.0.x and 192.168.11.x connected to router on the same interface (192.168.11.253 is a secondary ip) but I can seem to be able to route packets from one network to the other. Internet traffic is fine from both networks. I can't see what I'm doing wrong here. I can ping the 192.168.11.253 (router) from the 192.168.0 network but nothing beyond that.

I tried this at home with no other config and its the same. Is this by design?

net.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I agree with John that seeing the configuration would let us evaluate the possibility that it is a router configuration issue. But I will also suggest the possibility that the problem is not router configuration but that it might be something like having the hosts on the 192.168.11.0 network not have the correct default gateway configured. So I would also request some information on how the hosts are configured.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can you post your config?

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

I agree with John that seeing the configuration would let us evaluate the possibility that it is a router configuration issue. But I will also suggest the possibility that the problem is not router configuration but that it might be something like having the hosts on the 192.168.11.0 network not have the correct default gateway configured. So I would also request some information on how the hosts are configured.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Aw man, I feel like a moron. I forgot to think that there was no default gateway set in the hosts which there wasn't as I had only just created one. The hosts had been sitting round for while so forgot about them. Thanks Rick!!

I am glad that my suggestion pointed you in the right direction. Thank you for posting back to the forum and confirming what the problem was. It may become a useful lesson for others about figuring out what was not working - and remembering that not every network problem is a router or switch problem. And thank you for using the rating system to mark the question as answered (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read about a problem and can know that a solution was found. Your marking has contributed to this process.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card