cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to update Nexus 3172T

bhagen
Level 1
Level 1

We have a couple Nexus 3172T 10GB switches that I want to update to nxos.7.0.3.I7.6.bin. But there isn't enough room on the switch for the new .bin file; Both switches have 976355328 bytes free, but the new .bin file is 987Mb in size.

• I can't compact the current .bin file because both switches are currently running nxos.7.0.3.I2.2b.bin...which doesn't understand the "compact" part of the "install all nxos bootflash: nxos.7.0.3.I2.2b.bin compact" command.
  • I can't delete the current .bin file to make room; "Switch is booted with 'nxos.7.0.3.I2.2b.bin'. Overwriting/deleting this image is not allowed"
  • I can't boot to usb1: because nxos.7.0.3.I2.2b.bin doesn't understand the "boot" command; "Switch1# b (tab) bcm-shell blink bloggerd"

In summary: I need to update the os so that the current os will understand the commands needed to update the os.

This is some dizzying looping, Cisco!!

Anybody know how to remedy this situation so I can update these switches?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

bhagen
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED

The answer was for Cisco to compress the new .bin file on their own Nexus switch, then send me the file.

The compress they did shrunk the file from 1GB to 450Mb, which fit just fine in the bootflash, with enough spare room that "install all nxos usb1:nxos.7.0.3.I7.6.bin" worked.

I now have 2 updated switches, and the "compact" keyword is supported. (I tried compacting the new os file, but it said 'already compacted'.)

Done; thanks once again TAC!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Yes; I've been thru that article several times...that's where my bullet points came from. :-)

I now have a case open with TAC and will be on a webex with them in an hour, so if I get a resolution there, I'll share it here.

Sure keep us post and it will be helpfull.

i was referring while copying the image.

switch# copy scp :source image name bootflash :image name compact vrf vrf name

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

@balaji.bandi wrote:

switch# copy scp :source image name bootflash :image name compact vrf vrf name

Yes, I tried that too. Again, the issue is that the "compact" command switch isn't available with the current version of the os.

I'm actually on the phone with Cisco now; they are going to compact the new firmware on their side and send the compacted file to me; I'm curious to see if it compacts enough to fit in my bootflash!

bhagen
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED

The answer was for Cisco to compress the new .bin file on their own Nexus switch, then send me the file.

The compress they did shrunk the file from 1GB to 450Mb, which fit just fine in the bootflash, with enough spare room that "install all nxos usb1:nxos.7.0.3.I7.6.bin" worked.

I now have 2 updated switches, and the "compact" keyword is supported. (I tried compacting the new os file, but it said 'already compacted'.)

Done; thanks once again TAC!

Glad to here it all sorted.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card