cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to use "software" command on Cisco Catalyst 3850 on INSTALL mode

Gerth Rauseo
Level 1
Level 1

I need to change de IOS XE version on a pair of 3850-12XS, they are in INSTALL mode:

Switch#show ver | i INSTALL                                               
*    1 16    WS-C3850-12XS      16.3.1            CAT3K_CAA-UNIVERSALK9 INSTALL

I am following this URL:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/117552-technote-cat3850-00.html#anc16

but the software does not support the command "software"

Switch#$stall file flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.07.04.E.152-3.E4.bin
software install file flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.07.04.E.152-3.E4.bin
 ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Switch#software ?
% Unrecognized command
Switch#software

Does anybody know how do you change the Software on these Switches with IOS XE 16.3?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You need to use the "request platform software package install" command. Take a look at the Upgrading the Switch Software section of this link.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/16-3/release_notes/ol-16-3-3850.html

Brandon

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You need to use the "request platform software package install" command. Take a look at the Upgrading the Switch Software section of this link.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/16-3/release_notes/ol-16-3-3850.html

Brandon

for a moment, I was confused too what to do, but your post made it way too easy. Cheers

Great Help It worked
Thank you so Much

I was able to upgrade to 16.6.4a using the software... command, but after the reload, I'm trying to clean up the flash and the software command is no longer available. I read the release notes for this version and it shows software cleanup as an option but I don't have it in my switch.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/16-6/release_notes/ol-16-6-3850.html#pgfId-1479823

From the release notes"

Noteblank.gif The old files listed in the logs should be removed using the software clean command, after reload"

Any suggestions?

Sorry, I just found the command under: Catalyst 3850 Series Switch Upgrade, Management, and Recovery Techniques
switch# request platform software package clean switch all file flash:

Everyone keeps saying use the "software clean" command but fail to state that the full command is actually -

"request platform software package clean"

(not "request platform software package install")

this comment should be labeled as the solution. not the one that is currently.

Incorrect...

These are two separate commands.

request platform software package clean switch all file flash:

- is used when preparing for an upgrade of the IOS and when needing to make additional room on the flash after an upgrade has been completed

request platform software package install switch all file flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9-16.0x.xx.SPA.bin (new) (auto-copy) 

- is used to install the upgrade IOS to a stand-alone/stack switch(es) - What is in () are optional flags

There is also:

request platform software package expand file flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9-16.0x.xx.SPA.bin (overwrite) (verbose) 

- which will change the switch mode from Bundle to Install (which is preferred).  This will expand the .bin file into a packages.conf file, which the switch will then use to boot from.  This enables more features of the IOS and again, is the preferred method of operation for the 3850. After running this and reloading, you can use the above clean command to remove the .bin file, it is no longer needed nor used.  The packages.conf file is the expanded version of the .bin file, and this is what the switch boots from. So if you need the space, or are performing another upgrade afterwards and need the space for  the new .bin file, that is how you get it. 

Documentation on this is sadly sparse, incomplete, frustratingly confusing and worst of all, has changed drastically in the past couple years. Hopefully this helps someone.  Cisco... 

I'd hardly call this incorrect. The main point is that the "software" command is no longer used and " request platform" is now the root of the command you want to use. people don't need to remember every permutation of it.

khun
Level 1
Level 1
Me too
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card