Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

unmanaged swtiches for 8 labs

Hi

we have about 8 labs each has 21 computers, some of the labs have unmanaged 24port Cisco switches and some have other brands.

They are all connected to two Cisco 2960 48p switches. i am thinking of removing these unmanaged switches and try to plug all labs computers directly into the Cisco 2960 switches. It will be hard extending them but my thought is the unmanaged switches are making the network extremely slow. 

it it a good idea to plug the computers in cisco 2960 switches and make some VLANs? or its not worth the trouble and keep the unmanaged switches in each lab?

Thanks you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...it it a good idea to plug the computers in cisco 2960 switches and make some VLANs?
                                  It is !

>   or its not worth the trouble and keep the unmanaged switches in each lab?
  - The use of  unmanaged switches is totally outdated in modern networks and should be avoided at all cost , because of many reasons , such as Network Access Control, modern network protocols, spanning-tree , loop prevention , and what else is there to say (>>>!!!)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...it it a good idea to plug the computers in cisco 2960 switches and make some VLANs?
                                  It is !

>   or its not worth the trouble and keep the unmanaged switches in each lab?
  - The use of  unmanaged switches is totally outdated in modern networks and should be avoided at all cost , because of many reasons , such as Network Access Control, modern network protocols, spanning-tree , loop prevention , and what else is there to say (>>>!!!)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card