Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Upgrade Cat6500 doc info

hjacquemin
Beginner
Beginner

Hello everyone,

I have successfully upgraded both 6509's, but the mentioned “0 to 3 seconds switchover time” (SSO mode) in the “Catalyst 6000/6500 Series Switches with Redundant Supervisor Engines Software Image Upgrade Configuration Example” was a little bit underestimated.

I experienced longer switchover due to a reset of all cards (exept the SUP720). This was a bit unexpected. Can you give any reason for this?

And will this happen again in a future upgrade?

We also wonder if the card rebooted at the same time or one per one?

Someone has a document who explained that?

3 REPLIES 3

Mark Yeates
Rising star
Rising star

Herve,

Are you running SSO/NSF? Running NSF along with SSO will dramatically cut down fail over times within your chassis. Please see the following link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Data_Center/DC_Infra2_5/DCInfra_7.html#wp1136155

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_white_paper0900aecd801c5cd7.html

HTH,

Mark

hjacquemin
Beginner
Beginner

I already had this information, but I still have no info on what happens with the line cards during a “high availability software upgrade”…

Do they reboot?

At the same time?

One after the other?

for information, I'm in SSO mode.

Thanks,

stierb
Beginner
Beginner

Your question is answered in the document you referenced (the document id should be 71585). The explanation is under step 12 of the Software Update/Native Mode section. To summarize, after you upgrade the standby sup, it will come up in RPR mode because the IOS versions don't match.

Will it happen in a future upgrade? Yes.

Also, the linecards all reset at the time the failover occurs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: