cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UPGRADE Catalyst 2960S-24TS-L Switch

EmHe
Level 1
Level 1

I need your help, I am going to update to the version recommended by Cisco Release 15.2.2E9 MD but I don't know which file to use, if the bin or the tar, what is the main difference, which one should I use?

Thank you

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In general  .bin is the base image that you need switch to work. The .tar file also contains this .bin file and an additional set of html & other files that are needed to configure the switch via a web browser. 

if you want to simple no over loaded, you can download .bin file and each upgrade.

if you using you need to do archive install.

before upgrade make sure you read the releae notes and supported platforms.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

yangorelik
Spotlight
Spotlight
I believe, you posted your subject in the wrong board. This one is used only for YDK related issues and discussions.
Yan
Yan Gorelik
YDK Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Use the TAR file and the following command to safely unpack the file: 

archive download-sw tftp://<TFTP_IP_ADDRESS>/IOS_FILENAME.tar

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

- The .bin file is the Cisco IOS Software image. If you want to use only the CLI to manage the switch, this is the only file you need to download.

- The .tar file is an archive file from which both the IOS image and the CMS files are extracted during the upgrade process. If you want to manage switches or clusters of switches through a web interface (HTML), this is the only file you need to download.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card