Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade question on WSC4507R-E

Eric Shartle
Level 1
Level 1

HI all,

I have a couple questions about upgrading the IOS on our WS C4507R-E.    We have 3 installed cards:

2 WS-X45-SUP6L-E supervisor modules running 12.2(54)SG  * running Active/Standby

1 WSX4606-X2-E 10G card

ROMMON is currently at  12.2(44r)SG5

I'm a bit confused by all the available IOS "trees" but I am pretty sure I want to upgrade to: 15.0.2-SG9(MD), at least that is what is recommended when I search for IOS downloads.  I don't think I need to upgrade ROMMON, I believe I'm at the minimum required version for this IOS.  I may upgrade ROMMON after IOS, there was a note about not doing it first on older IOS versions.

So, my questions are....is the above info correct, regarding ROMMON and the recommended IOS version for my platform?

If so, how would I do the upgrade on the redundant sup modules?  The instructions I found didn't address redundant sups.

Anything I need to be aware of that I haven't mentioned?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Eric,

There are 2 ways to upgrade:

1-Load the IOS version you want to both Sups, change the boot variable, so the switch can load the new IOS after the reboot and finally reboot the chassis.

2-Use ISSU  see link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-4500-series-switches/prod_white_paper0900aecd806f0663.html

As for the ROMMON, you usually don't need to upgrade it often and you can always do that later if you need to.  I think, some of the newer versions of IOS upgrade the ROMOM as well as the main image but I am not sure exactly for what platforms.

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Eric,

There are 2 ways to upgrade:

1-Load the IOS version you want to both Sups, change the boot variable, so the switch can load the new IOS after the reboot and finally reboot the chassis.

2-Use ISSU  see link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-4500-series-switches/prod_white_paper0900aecd806f0663.html

As for the ROMMON, you usually don't need to upgrade it often and you can always do that later if you need to.  I think, some of the newer versions of IOS upgrade the ROMOM as well as the main image but I am not sure exactly for what platforms.

HTH

Thank you Reza - the ISSU process was exactly what I was looking for.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card