Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading 6807 VSS single SUP

waqas gondal
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I have 3 pairs of 6807 VSS switches. Each stack is single supervisor VS-SUP2T-10G.

Current version is 

(s2t54-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 15.1(2)SY6

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(50r)SYS2

Recommended version is

s2t54-advipservicesk9-mz.SPA.155-1.SY6.bin

It seems like I cannot do ISSU with this upgrade. Is there another way I can do this without a full disruption to our Core network?

If I have to take it out all at once how long will the upgrade take?

Thanks,

Waqas

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@waqas gondal wrote:

Could we do FSU to 15.4(1)SY safely?

I never use FSU/eFSU or ISSU because it not a one-size-fits-all solution.  To some it may work but I have had some bad experience that I just result to going to the old method which has worked 10 out 10.

@waqas gondal wrote:

We will likely do a refresh to SDA in 2 years

If you want to do FSU/eFSU or ISSU make sure the TAC engineer is on the phone when you are doing it.  It will also help if the Cisco AM/SE is involved in the FSU/eFSU or ISSU "cc-ed" into the email trail.  

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Personally, there are many other ways you can choose for the upgrade, since VSS bit odd results i see especially 2 different versions of IOS when you upgrade per chassis 

12.2X to 15.X.

here is good discussion,

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/6807-vss-issu-upgrade-to-15-5-1-sy5/m-p/4172653

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi, we are on version Version 15.1(2)SY6 currently, considering version Version 15.5(1)SY6

Also that discussion is for a dual SUP chassis, which I don't have.

apologies corrected my statement - look at the approach and discussion had in the thread and consider our experience on the filed results.

i know downtime biggest factor nowadays, but think planned downtime vs disaster.

BB

@waqas gondal wrote:

Hi, we are on version Version 15.1(2)SY6 currently, considering version Version 15.5(1)SY6

Also that discussion is for a dual SUP chassis, which I don't have.

You are going to 15.5(1)SY version.  This means a mandatory FPGA upgrade.  Read my response in the link @balaji.bandi have posted.  

And remember, when the proverbial "thing" hits the equally-proverbial fan, it will be a long, sad and lonely drive to the site.  And, most importantly, no one will hear you(r) scream.  

Is there a version I can go to that won't require the FPGA upgrade?

@waqas gondal wrote:

Is there a version I can go to that won't require the FPGA upgrade?

Read the Release Notes very, very carefully -- I cannot stress this enough.  

15.4(1)SY (and earlier) version do not require FPGA.  

That should work, the only thing I'm not sure on is 

CSCva82153 cat6000-firmware Multicast traffic black-holed with Nappar LC mixed mode

We are using some multicast for CCTV but I don't know what that means. Could we do FSU to 15.4(1)SY safely?

My only reason to upgrade is the current version is end of support in June. We will likely do a refresh to SDA in 2 years so anything that would be supported until then would work. Don't need to go to the latest version.

Thanks,

Waqas

@waqas gondal wrote:

Could we do FSU to 15.4(1)SY safely?

I never use FSU/eFSU or ISSU because it not a one-size-fits-all solution.  To some it may work but I have had some bad experience that I just result to going to the old method which has worked 10 out 10.

@waqas gondal wrote:

We will likely do a refresh to SDA in 2 years

If you want to do FSU/eFSU or ISSU make sure the TAC engineer is on the phone when you are doing it.  It will also help if the Cisco AM/SE is involved in the FSU/eFSU or ISSU "cc-ed" into the email trail.  

New Software Features in Release 15.5(1)SY4

• Password Hardening:

Deprecation of Type 4 passwords.

Warnings for Type 0, Type 5, and Type 7 passwords.

• Secure Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) Support
  • show plat nat translation statistics command to display NAT Netflow utilization.
  • Support for CISCO-NAT-STAT-MIB

Secure FPGA Support

Secure FPGA is a feature to protect Gold region of FPGA Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI) flash. FPGA prevents any modifications to Gold region of FPGA flash. Cisco IOS achieves this by bundling the latest secure FPGA image and auto-upgrading the Gold and Upgrade regions of FPGA flash to this image. Release 15.5(1)SY4 introduces a change to Cisco IOS FPGA auto-upgrade procedure.

Note

Before proceeding with the upgrade to Cisco IOS Release 15.5(1)SY4, see Secure Field Programmable Gate Array and Performing FPGA Upgrade for complete information about the change in FPGA auto-upgrade procedure and how to perform FPGA upgrade.

BB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: