cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrading c3560 switch???

baselzind
Level 6
Level 6

i was asked to upgrade our c3560 switches , i went over and i found several versions of C3560 , i did a show version and i concluded i have model WS-C3560G-48PS correct? i also checked the driver page and i found the latest to be 15.0.2-SE9 while the Cisco recommended to be 12.2.55-SE10 , it is better to upgrade to the recommended version even if it is older than the lastest version correct??? also over the driver page the size is shown as DRAM/FLASH  "128 / 16" are those in MB? Does it mean i need 128MB Dram and 16MB flash memory???  looking at my show version i think i have something close to 130 Mbytes of dram??? are those 130 MB the total memory or the available unused memory? checking "show flash" shows "32514048 bytes total (25472512 bytes free)" that means i have 24 MB free which match the 16 MB requirement correct???

Cisco IOS Software, C3560 Software (C3560-IPBASE-M), Version 12.2(25)SEB2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Tue 07-Jun-05 23:34 by yenanh

ROM: Bootstrap program is C3560 boot loader
BOOTLDR: C3560 Boot Loader (C3560-HBOOT-M) Version 12.2(25r)SE1, RELEASE SOFTWAR E (fc)

System image file is "flash:c3560-ipbase-mz.122-25.SEB2/c3560-ipbase-mz.122-25.S EB2.bin"

cisco WS-C3560G-48PS (PowerPC405) processor (revision C0) with 118784K/12280K by tes of memory.
Last reset from power-on
2 Virtual Ethernet interfaces
52 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.

11 Replies 11

Milos Megis
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

In production environment use IOS which is recommended if you want to avoid possible problems with newest IOS which can contain bugs.

"DRAM/FLASH  "128 / 16" - these are MB as you wrote.

Yes you need 16MB flash to store IOS, and you need 128MB DRAM to run IOS without problems.
Some IOS can run on smaller DRAM as recommended, but there is big chance of errors/problems - so don´t do this if you are using this switch in production environment.

130MB is total memory of DRAM

FLASH memory you can check with command, for example "dir flash:"

For that platform you want this image its the safe harbor and current recommended , i think they have stopped releasing software for this platform as well that's probably the last you will get its gone EOL basically

c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE10.bin

heres the link

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=278546113&flowid=2533&softwareid=280805680&release=12.2.55-SE10&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=ED&reltype=latest

End of SW Maintenance Releases Date:
HW

The last date that Cisco Engineering may release any final software maintenance releases or bug fixes. After this date, Cisco Engineering will no longer develop, repair, maintain, or test the product software.

January 30,2014

what about  Release 15.0.2-SE9? it is newer but it isn't recommended?

where do you see that what link ? the link i gave you is specifically for your 3560 model

If you put something that is not listed on your platform its unsupported it may work but you could have issues as well , is it 128/16 too ?

you see i have "WS-C3560G-48PS" with the G as shown in the "show version", the link u gave is for a model without a G , here is the link for my model:

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=279486491&flowid=2537&softwareid=280805680&release=12.2.55-SE10&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=ED&reltype=latest

apologies for that still early here missed the G :) but i would still recommend se10 its the safe harbor for that too and you dont have enough flash its 32 for v15.  its best not to go to the latest image as well because if you hit an unknown bug you will have to roll back or else wait for DE to write a fix for it could be month or 2 depending on how many customers its effecting

what is the difference between ip base and ip services version of the ios? i think i need to go with ip base according to my "show version"?

also to double check i have enough dram/flash "128/16" according to this

"with 118784K/12280K by tes of memory."

"32514048 bytes total (25472512 bytes free)"

you should go with ipbase , ipservices you will need another license for it to work , it basically gives you full BGP ,PBR and other advanced ip services but you have to pay for it

ye looks like you have enough flash just over 32 , you will have to delete current image first so dont let the router reboot or it will go to rommon , you may have to force the delete as its the only image as well , if it blocks the delete flash use the force and recursive options to remove it

if the ios need only 16 MB and according to my flash  "32514048 bytes total (25472512 bytes free)" i have 24 MB free then there is no need to delete anything correct??

yes for the v12 image you dont need to delete anything but for the v15 you need full 32mb , and its always recommended you have more flash available than what the size is

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

i did a show version and i concluded i have model WS-C3560G-48PS correct?

That what it appears you have.

i also checked the driver page and i found the latest to be 15.0.2-SE9 while the Cisco recommended to be 12.2.55-SE10 , it is better to upgrade to the recommended version even if it is older than the lastest version correct???

Depends on your feature needs.  As a general rule, you often want to avoid newer IOS versions, that provide IOS features you don't need, rather use an IOS version with the features you do need, that's been "wrung out" (bugs [ideally] fixed or noted) the most.  55SE10 is a very "wrung out" release, which is why it's recommend by Cisco.

also over the driver page the size is shown as DRAM/FLASH  "128 / 16" are those in MB? Does it mean i need 128MB Dram and 16MB flash memory???

Yes and Yes (free/available flash).

Does it mean i need 128MB Dram and 16MB flash memory???

Yes and no.

looking at my show version i think i have something close to 130 Mbytes of dram??? are those 130 MB the total memory or the available unused memory?

Total (actually 128 MB)

checking "show flash" shows "32514048 bytes total (25472512 bytes free)" that means i have 24 MB free which match the 16 MB requirement correct???

Yes.

PS:

Normally you need a maintenance license to legally upgrade Cisco devices.  The 3750G, I recall, had a lifetime software maintenance license (this was to compete with other vendor SMB switches), but I think I also recall Cisco may have later cancelled that.

Also if you have IPBase, IOS versions with more advanced features required a separate license.  Originally, there was a license for IPServices and Advanced IPServices, but Cisco later combined the two into one feature version and license.  Either earlier license permitted using the later combined version.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card