Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading Catalyst 3750-E to Nexus 3048

S891
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

We are planning to upgrade some of our old 3750-E TOR switches to Nexus 3048. I have read Nexus N3Ks offer low latency and line arte L2 and L3. But when looking at data sheet I found that 3750E has forwarding rate of 101 mpps while Nexus 3048 has throughput of 132 mpps. There is not much of a difference.  I am probably missing something. Can someone shed light how much performance and what type of performance gain I should expect?

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Exactly what is the current 3750E servicing?  

Nexus 3K offers low-latency support and aimed at the financial markets.  

Without much info about the network, it's hard to say Nexus 3K is the "best fit" to upgrade 3750E.

These switches are for application and system servers (not related to financial trading) in our DC and are lightly loaded. The issue we were seeing with 3750E was a drops and buffer issues though these servers were not doing heavy transfers. 

Anyways, I thought Nexus 3K is a better fit as we needed standalone manageable switches. 

Start with Nexus 5600 & if there are funds available, add Nexus 2K FEX.  

I am curious as to why N3K can not do the job. They are supposedly high performance low latency switches. 

I am curious as to why N3K can not do the job. They are supposedly high performance low latency switches. 

Check the price and whether or not Nexus 3500 can see if it can support FEX.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card