cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading Catalyst 4500 power supplies

gmckay2e2
Level 1
Level 1

If I'm upgrading dual redundant power supplies in a Catalyst 4507 from 1000W (data) to 1400W (data), can it be done without taking the switch through a power cycle? I'm guessing no as I read that the switch will not recognize a 1400W PSU in bay 2 if there is still an original 1000W PSU in bay 1..                 

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If your current power supplies are in redundant mode, meaning each power supply can run the system by itself, you can take out one of the 1000W power supplies and put in the 1400W.  Than do a sh power and see if the 1400W is recognized by the switch, if yes, you can replace the other one.  Of course I would not do any of these without an outage window.

HTH

Arumugam Muthaiah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Gordon,

Yes, If you have power supplies with different types or different wattages installed in your switch, the switch will not recognize one of the power supplies and will not have power redundancy.

When you insert power supplies in your switch, use power supplies that are of the same wattage. Multi-input power supplies such as 1400 W DC triple-input, 4200 W AC, and 6000 W AC have additional restrictions

• Use power supplies of the same type and wattage (fixed or variable and AC or DC)
  • If you use power supplies with different types or wattages, the switch will utilize only one of the power supplies

It would be better if you could take the downtime and replace those two power supplies.

Refer:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/25ew/configuration/guide/pwr_envr.html#wp1048619

Regards,

Aru

Regards, Aru *** Please rate if the post useful ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card