Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading From 3.7.4 To 16.12.X

salemmahara
Level 3
Level 3

Hello guys,

I have a C3850 with IP Services license (3850-48XS-E) which its current IOS version is 3.7.4. For solving an issue (A bug) I am planned to upgrade it to one of 16.12.X versions. But, starting from Fuji 16.9.1 Cisco One is the default licensing method. C3850 is currently EoL and EoS, So I am not able and also I don't want to pay. I have a lot of IP Services features in use. So:

1. What would happen? I know my RTU license well turns to Evolution. What is the consequences? The power source is not stable there so 1-2 reboot is unavoidable in month which shouldn't stop ant services after booting up

2. Is it possible to buy and convert my current RTU license to Cisco One right now(After EoS and EoL arrival)

This switch is healthy and must work at least 2-3 years from now. So, it is better to forget the update if it is going to stop or interrupt me.

3. If Cisco ONE is going to stop us and Cisco doesn't sell a conversion from traditional to Cisco One (which is my last choice if there is no other option), what should I do with my beautiful switch?

4. What do your recommend? Upgrading to 16.12.X without buying cisco one license or staying with 3.7.x? I have another switch, same model, in my other site. I'll make an stack after making decision about software.

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco Smart Licensing (CSL) starts from 16.9.X.  If the stack is on, for example, 16.6.10 then CSL is OFF

If you are planning to use 16.6.X (and older), make sure to read FN - 72323 - Cisco IOS XE Software: QuoVadis Root CA 2 Decommission Might Affect Smart Licensing, Smart Call Home, and Other Functionality.

Workaround #2 will not cause any interruption.

Hey @Leo Laohoo 

Glad to see you here.

I am currently on 3.7.4 which is RTU based. An upgrade is considered here. May I ask you please to follow questions? My brain is a little slower than yours, so I need to find answers one by one.

In addition, I haven't configured any valid certificate on the switch and everything is based on the self-signed certificate generated by the switch (Which is used for SSH)

The certificate you have for the Local SSH, the Certificate mentioned in the document to register smart License with cisco portal

anything above as you mentioned 16.9.X smart License.

how to Migrate RTU to smart License :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/licensing/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/lic217683-how-to-migrate-catalyst-3850-series-from.html

If you are secure environment, some time people leave the IOS code as it is and upgrade to new hardware (since 3850 going to soon End of Life) - moving forward all will be Cat 9K

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello @balaji.bandi and @Leo Laohoo 

Thanks for replying again.

I can't leave the device with this version. Because it's not end of stroy. After upgrading this switch, I am planned to upgrade my ISR4421 which randomly crashes. The router is at the same situation (3.x to 16.x).

So I have to find right answer for each question. 

BTW, the certificate you just mentioned looks a bug which can be proceed anyway at work (just an alert which says it's not valid). On top of that, another version of ... jpgrade might solve it. It's not a cosiderable point,I guess.

IOS-XE routers will need to have their ROMMON upgraded manually.

Read this:  Cisco ISR & ASR 1k Routers: IOS-XE/Firmware Upgrade (Install Mode)

Yeah Leo

I'm aware and already on articles about upgrading ROMMON.

The important part is service interrupt and any consequences after upgrading from a non-cisco One to it. For some reasons, it is not possible to migrate our traditional license to cisco smart. So, I just want to upgrade OS without any extra steps.

Hello,

just out of curiosity, what is the bug/issue you are currently dealing with (in the 3.7.4 version) ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card