Helpful
Replies

upgrading lan base to ip base switches core

IngGerardo013
Level 1
Level 1

Hi good day guys,

We share you the next escenario,

We have two new switches 4506-E, we are going to use these switches in a new implementation network, however, the default licence level that have these 2 swtiches is LAN BASE, this is not compatible with HSRP, we want to implement it to create redundancy. We know that exists this part number to make the upgrade L-C4500E-LB-IP. Questions are:

How can we know if we need buy the licence?  or just activate it?...

Any document that can help us to make the upgradee?.. thanks a lot

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You have paid for LAN Base.  If you want IP Base, you need to purchase the license from your sales person and then activate it and load it to your switch.

Here is the link:

http://tools.cisco.com/SWIFT/LicensingUI/Quickstart

HTH

I got it! This is because my IT Manager wants to use this protocol (HSRP).. but.. what happen if just we create a etherchannel between the 2 switches?.. we have redundancy too. Or not?

No really, HSRP provide redundancy in such way if for example router-A fails, router-B takes over.  Etherchannel just gives you more links to use. They are 2 different things. IF you need to provide redundancy for your end devices/users, then you need HSRP or VRRP.

HTH

A co-worker told me that there is a protocol at layer 2 that also makes redundancy.. is this true?..

buy the license is not an option, there is no budget. We have to think in other options... any suggestion?..

It is really hard to tell what your co-worker is talking about. He probably meant STP, but you should ask him for more detail.

A co-worker told me that there is a protocol at layer 2 that also makes redundancy

Errrr ... you're co-worker is not talking about VSS?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card