Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrading my IOS in switch

vasanth_acharya
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Team,

1.My old switch software version is 12.2(35)SE5 and model number is WS-C3750-48PS-S and my new switch Software version is 12.2(50)SE1 and model number is WS-C3750V2-48PS . I want a compatible version of IOS which works on both the switches.

2.My new switch Software version is 12.2(50)SE1 and model number is WS-C3750V2-48PS,and my old switch which has software version is 12.2(35)SE5 and model number is WS-C3750-48PS-S whether from this switch i can do stacking.

Thanks

Vasanth.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Shashank Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Vasanth,

++There is no single image that can run on both WS-C3750V2-48PS and WS-C3750-48PS switches. However, both of these switches will have images in the same IOS version.

++For the switches to be stackable, they should run the same major version. For eg, both of them should run either 12.2(35)SE5 or 12.2(55)SE1. Also ensure that they run the same license (sh license).

++Check out the steps to create a stack out of mixed hardware switches at the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750e_3560e/software/release/12.2_35_se2/configuration/guide/swstack.html

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Shashank

View solution in original post

Hi

For 3750 V2,  the minimum Cisco IOS Software release is 12.2.50 !

In order to stack 2 switches they must have the same major version and the same feature set. I recommend that the minor version is also the same.

ipbase/ip services ==> these are two differerent feature sets! thus incompatible.

==> with stacking you create one logical switch

So before stacking (connecting stack cables) you need to ensure both have the same software (inclusive feature set)

Configuring stacking is not required as the switch will detect the stack cables at the stack port ;-)

---------------------------------------

Plz don't forget to rate posts ;-)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

IAN WHITMORE
Level 4
Level 4

1. You can use the same IOS on both switches. The lastes (IP BASE) is 12.2 (55) SE

2. You can you mix and match the switches in the stack. 3750 / 3750-E / 3750-X. Reference: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5023/prod_white_paper09186a00801b096a.html

and: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5023/data_sheet_c78-531031.html

Regards,

Ian

Dear iwhitmore,

Thanks for your feed back  I am using IP service based IOS that is c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-55.SE1. Now i am having anether switch which is using IOS c3750-ipbasek9-mz.122-50.SE1 as you have mentioned previously it should have major version i hope its correct occourding to you, now i am Stacking these two switches and want to check whether it is supporting or not how to do that. As well i need basic configuration command to do stacking.

Thanks,

Vasanth.

Shashank Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Vasanth,

++There is no single image that can run on both WS-C3750V2-48PS and WS-C3750-48PS switches. However, both of these switches will have images in the same IOS version.

++For the switches to be stackable, they should run the same major version. For eg, both of them should run either 12.2(35)SE5 or 12.2(55)SE1. Also ensure that they run the same license (sh license).

++Check out the steps to create a stack out of mixed hardware switches at the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750e_3560e/software/release/12.2_35_se2/configuration/guide/swstack.html

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Shashank

Hi Shashank,

Thanks for your feedback on this issue. I am using IP service based IOS that is c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-55.SE1. Now i am having anether switch which is using IOS c3750-ipbasek9-mz.122-50.SE1 as you have mentioned previously it should have major version i hope its correct occourding to you, now i am Stacking these two switches and want to check whether it is supporting or not how to do that. As well i need basic configuration command to do stacking.

Thanks,

Vasanth

Hi

For 3750 V2,  the minimum Cisco IOS Software release is 12.2.50 !

In order to stack 2 switches they must have the same major version and the same feature set. I recommend that the minor version is also the same.

ipbase/ip services ==> these are two differerent feature sets! thus incompatible.

==> with stacking you create one logical switch

So before stacking (connecting stack cables) you need to ensure both have the same software (inclusive feature set)

Configuring stacking is not required as the switch will detect the stack cables at the stack port ;-)

---------------------------------------

Plz don't forget to rate posts ;-)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card