Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading to 16.9.X

salemmahara
Level 3
Level 3

Hello guys

We are planning to upgrade our switches (3850) from 3.x.x to 16.x ... or any other reliable images.

As you know, license are RTU, but Cisco says RTU is deprecated from 16.9.1 and all licenses will be changed to Smart.

What does it exactly mean? I mean, what would happen to our devices? We are not going to pay any money, in addition we need all of features working as always without any interrupt. On top of that, it is not pleasant to be faced with any further problems during any other updates or using features (Our current images are Advanced Enterprise(E series)). So:

1.I am looking for any possible shortages or limitations of this upgrade(At this time, we can use every drop of RTU license and our switch without any consideration, because we are on Advanced Enterprise feature set). We are not going to connect these switches to internet or do any extra step except the upgrade procedure. If there is a problem, please give me a way to keep my switches without any force to Smart program.

2. Is this program (RTU deprecation) the same for other models?? (2960X/XR, 4500X, 2960G,S,3750....) . What about routers? We have too many ISR 4000 with RTU licenses and....

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The Licence you have permanent still you will get as per my knowledge, License team can help you convert any PAK to a smart License. the smart license gives you 90days to use so its plenty time to sort licensing.

some models will be the end of life, they can not upgrade to new code, they will be staying until they work for you.

Most of the questions already answered here : (Hope that help you ?)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/software/smart-accounts/q-and-a-c67-741561.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco Smart Licensing (CSL) is supported from 16.9.X. 

16.6.X do NOT support CSL.  

Alternatively, even if you do not have Smart Accounts, just ignore the Smart Licensing "nag" with logging discriminator and you should be fine.  CSL is not (yet) "enforced".

You mean, I can upgrade my 3850 switches to 16.9.5 and they will work without any problem ?I want them to continue to working without any consideration of converting PAK to CSL. Just like the days when no CSL was invented. If I could understand it clearly, I will only receive a Log which can be ignored. But to stop this Log, I have to whether 1-convert my PAK to CSL or 2- Request a PLR or 3- Any other option?

I want to add :

My switches are licensed with IP Services feature from the factory.

@salemmahara wrote:

My switches are licensed with IP Services feature from the factory.

That is nice, however, Cisco Smart License TRUMP the license that came out of the factory.  

if they come factiry pre licensed good, and you can directly add them to stack if required. make sure all are same version that all we suggest.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

salemmahara
Level 3
Level 3

For clarification, 

1. All my IP services features will work even without converting PAK to CSL after upgrading to 16.9.X

2. After upgrading, if I want to convert PAK to CSL(Although it looks optional according to No.1), there wouldn't be any charge. It is actually free, even without any active contract.

Right???

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco