Views
Helpful
Replies

Urgent help: L3 daughter card for Nexus 5548

The_guroo_2
Level 2
Level 2

Hi

We have 2 Nexus 5548 which is in one vPC doamin. All the servers are teamed to these switches

Requirement

We have to install New L3 daughter card.(N55-D160L3-V2(=))

I have gone through the Cisco websites and found that we have to do the following things

1. software version:

i Nexus 5548P Daughter Card (N55-D160L3)

Before installing a Layer 3 daughter card (N55-D160L3) into a Cisco Nexus 5548P switch, you must upgrade to Cisco NX-OS Release 5.0(3)N1(1b) or NX-OS Release 5.0(3)N1(1c) and then install the card into the chassis. 

2. license: 

Also in order to enable this module following license should present on N5k device:
LAN_BASE_SERVICES_PKG  - it's free and lifetime.

I have 2 questions

1- In cisco documentation its says that these cards will be installed in the front where I/O module is and after NX OS 5.X they are hot swappable

Does that mean that no reboot will be required after installing this module (keeping in mind its the first time) so i am confused about the wording ???

Does license installation requires reboot??? in short if you are installing for the first time do we require a reboot ???? that is my main question

2- I have heard there is  a known bug which keep rebooting the switch after installation of L3 card

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCtl45495

has that been address in any version of license or NS-OS yet???

Thanks heaps guys

If the module is still offline when the requirements are met above, it could be a bug.(CSCtl45495) Try reloading the switch.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I trust Inayath but I would not trust the documentation and do this during business hours.

The sad part is that the bug id you posted goes back to April 2012 and Cisco has not done anything to fix it. 

To be safe, have a maintenance window, make the change, test to make sure the box is not rebooting after the module installed and put it back in production.

HTH

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1- In cisco documentation its says that these cards will be installed in the front where I/O module is and after NX OS 5.X they are hot swappable

Does that mean that no reboot will be required after installing this module (keeping in mind its the first time) so i am confused about the wording ???

Answer: -- Yes no reboot is required.

Does license installation requires reboot??? in short if you are installing for the first time do we require a reboot ???? that is my main question

Answer: As you are installing the license for the first time reboot of the box is not required.

2- I have heard there is  a known bug which keep rebooting the switch after installation of L3 card

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCtl45495

has that been address in any version of license or NS-OS yet???
Answer;--No this is not fixed yet.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

********Please do not forget to rate the post if this info is helpfull.

Hi Inayath

Thanks heaps..........So you are saying that if i have running 5K which is layer 2 and i install the new L3 daughter card for the first time along with license there will be no disruption nor i have to reboot the swicth as the word hot swappable means that its a replacement of existing mo\dule which was already installed so I/O are hot swappable but no doco has said that if you are adding the card for the first time what will happen

Do you have any cisco doco which says that we dont require the reboot as i have to share it with the client

Thanks again

Hi,

I trust Inayath but I would not trust the documentation and do this during business hours.

The sad part is that the bug id you posted goes back to April 2012 and Cisco has not done anything to fix it. 

To be safe, have a maintenance window, make the change, test to make sure the box is not rebooting after the module installed and put it back in production.

HTH

I agree with you Reza.

.Sorry to say that I dont find the document that says reboot is not required.  :-)

I will also go with Reza that do this in MW in case if there is for any reason module didnt work and we have to reboot the box as the last chance then we can do it without any issue.

HTH

Inayath

***plz dont forget to rate all usefull posts.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card