cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

URGENT - SG300-52 - Unresponsive (No GUI or Ping)

Aenon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We've got a brand new SG300-52MP that was being configured to replace another switch that is on its way out at the end of this week. Everything was going well until we began configuration for 3CX. We lost contact with the switch and were unable to communicate with it. We decided to reset the switch back to defaults which appeared to go successfully but the switch remains unresponsive.

We've tried via ethernet cable direct to a PC and also over the console connection but we cannot ping it nor, of course, access it via the browser GUI.

Following the reset we're pinging via the default 192.168.1.254. But the prior IP also isn't working.

Does anyone have any suggestions for troubleshooting this? 

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Hi dude:

My advice is, connect to the switch via console cable:

Power ON and see what is the outcome of the console
Reset the switch back to default settings and see the outcome from the console 

Do you have any other device connected to the switch? Maybe the SW is getting  new management IP address from some DHCP Server on the LAN

Hi, 

Thanks for the reply. At this point we've removed the switch from the network entirely and have it sitting separately connected directly to one or other of our machines. We've tried both the console and ethernet connections and haven't managed to communicate with it.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

A

Hi,

If you removed from the network then try with reset the switch using the below method:

• Disconnect all the Ethernet cables from the Cisco sg300 switch.
  • Press and hold the Reset button on the switch for at least 20 seconds until all the port LEDs light up. The switch will reboot now.

Keep in mind that you will lose all configuration and will get with default IP and configuration.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Hi,
Thanks. We've already done it. The system light is flashing indicating
default settings. That was actually one of the first things we tried.

Regards.

Aenon
Level 1
Level 1

Update - We eventually managed to gain access to the switch over an ethernet connection. It was almost by accident. I had it connected and running a constant ping but wasn't working on it and I spotted a successfully ping. A couple more appeared but they were intermittent. We tried the cable in a few different ports in case we had a bad port, and a few cables in case a bad cable. We thought we found some sort of issue with a conflict between network adaptors when I turned off all other adaptors and started to see what seemed like stable successful pings. I got access over the Web GUI but then the connection went intermittent again.

Long story short, we eventually saw what we thought was stability with a few network setting tweaks and I was able to do a first firmware upgrade. It was successful but again the intermittent connectivity returned. To clarify, this was a simply set up with the switch running defaults on a direct connection to a single laptop. Nevertheless we were unable to get the stable connection back and having raised this with the supplier we've arranged a return of the switch to get it replaced. 

I can simply find no rhyme or reason for the issues.

Thanks for your time and help guys.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco