Views
Helpful
Replies

USB Console Cable for 3012 Blade Center Switch Module

d.galati
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Would anyone know of the part number for this console cable ? I have 6 of these WS-CBS3012-IBM modules that need to be configured but I cannot

access the USB console port. I was told I could just get any DB9-to-USB cable and that would work.  I did buy a DB9-to-USB cable and it did not work.

I looked up the installation guide for this module and it just said the console cable is  DB9-to-USB but with no part number.

Any help in getting a part number or information on how to get this console cable would be very helpful.

Thank you for your help and time,

Dan

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Dan,

Maybe you bought a bad cable, because the cable is just straight DB-9 to USB,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/blades/3120/hardware/installation/guide/higcli.html#wp1022012

Reza

Hello Reza,

Thank for very much for your time, link and post.

I actually bought another cable and am having the same issue. All the cables I have looked up that are DB9-to-USB are

for pc's or laptop's that do not have a serial port. These cables come with a cd that have the drivers for the cable. So you are actually using the USB connection for the pc and then have the DB9 end for your serial port. I need it to be the other way around, use the DB9 connection to the pc and then the USB end for the console port.

This link is for the installation guide that I used as a reference.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/blades/3110/hardware/installation/guide/3110hig.pdf

Do you have any ideas on where I could get a cable for this ?

Thanks again for your help and time,

Dan 

Laurent Slysz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Dan,

I could not find the part number of this particular USB-DB9 cable.

I you finally found it, could you share it ?

We use WS-CBS3012-IBM here and the way I have configured them has been the following :

- Connect into your IBM management interface

- Under I/O Module Tasks-> Configuration, assign an IP address to the desired module

- Connect in http to the IP address you just configured before

- Do the express configuration to basicaly configure the switch and enable telnet management.

- Telnet the new equipment.

I suppose it's not the easiest way to do the job, but it works without USB-DB9 cable ...

Good Luck.

Regards,

Laurent

andrei.neagoe
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've recently had the same issue but unfortunately the switch was in protected mode (so in other words no chance to do anything without console cable). I managed to make a cable by using the following pinout:

Thank you! That helps a lot.

Today we tested the cable/pinout that was shown in "andrei.neagoe" posts. It works fine!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card