cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

USB to Serial Adapter for Win 7?

tellerman50
Level 1
Level 1

I recietly purchased a new Windows 7 64-bit Laptop.  We have a pelthera of Cisco 1841 Integrated Routers that I need to connect to.  I have an older USB to Serial adapter that I had on my old Win XP Laptop, but there aren't drivers for WIn 7 (let alone 64-bit) for that specific one.

Just want to know what others have had sucess with in connecting a Win7 64-bit Laptop to your Cisco routers console port (using CIsco's blue Serial cable).  Specifially what USB-Serial Adapter you are using (that will work with Win 7 64-bit) along with what emulator you are using to connect to them from a WIndows 7 machine?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Tim

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For free, Putty is your best choice.  Of course SecureCRT is much better, but It cost $$

HTH

Please rate and mark the post as resolved if helpful

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Tim,

Have a look at this post. 

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/message/79787

HTH

Thanks.  I knew there was something out there already.  What about a good emulator to work (preferably free).  I've used Putty in the past, but didn't know if there was something else out there that works any better. 

For free, Putty is your best choice.  Of course SecureCRT is much better, but It cost $$

HTH

Please rate and mark the post as resolved if helpful

Tim Cook wrote:

Thanks.  I knew there was something out there already.  What about a good emulator to work (preferably free).  I've used Putty in the past, but didn't know if there was something else out there that works any better. 

I use both PuTTY and TerraTerm - both are free (or there are free versions of TerraTerm Pro available) - TerraTerm has better logging, PuTTY does better SSH and screen/character management.

Cheers.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card