cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

use of 'service nagle' in todays environment

DAVE GENTON
Level 2
Level 2

Was doing some reading, and as you know service nagle was always  recommended in the past for congestion of small packets, particuarly as  related to telnet sessions on the routers.  I have read where service  nagle could be an issue with real-time traffic such as voip when sourced  from the router.  Does anyone know "todays" view on this ??   Technically the router does not "source" the voice traffic, usually it  traverses it, so I want to be sure.  I am still to this day deploying  service nagle as part of my qos "templates" looking forward can this or  has this become an issue, and is it impacting my voice and possibly  other real time traffic using small packets ??

3 Replies 3

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Was doing some reading, and as you know service nagle was always 
recommended in the past for congestion of small packets, particuarly
as  related to telnet sessions on the routers.  I have read where
service  nagle could be an issue with real-time traffic such as voip
when sourced  from the router.  Does anyone know "todays" view on this
??   Technically the router does not "source" the voice traffic,
usually it  traverses it, so I want to be sure.  I am still to this day
deploying  service nagle as part of my qos "templates" looking forward
can this or  has this become an issue, and is it impacting my voice and
possibly  other real time traffic using small packets ??

Hi,

The Nagle congestion-control algorithm is something that many ISPs turn on to improve the performance of their Telnet sessions to and from the router. This method is usually good for all TCP-based traffic and helps when connectivity to the router is poor or congested or the router itself is busier than normal.

However, do not use the service nagle command if you have XRemote users on X Window sessions or sourcing voice over IP traffic or other real-time traffic from the router—performance will become very poor.Without service nagle on a Cisco router, each character in a Telnet session is a separate CPU interrupt.

Hope to Help !!

Remember to rate helpful post

Ganesh.H

Hi Ganesh,

I wonder why you included VoIP and real-time, when the "nagle" algorithm affects only to TCP.

Coould you clarify?

Cheers

Ricardo

HaHa, Ricardo

Because he plagarized his answer from 2002!!!!

See here in a Cisco Press review.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card