cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using a Catalyst 6500 for "AV over IP"

jp.ward16
Level 1
Level 1

ow much more difficult is it to program the below features on a Catalyst 6500 when compared to programming using a SG300 for use in transmitting AV over IP?

I would like to know if this is possible, to use a Catalyst 6500 in place of a SG300-28PP. I have experience with the SG300 for this purpose, but not the 6500. A few years ago, I did have access to a Catalyst 6500 (circa 2011) and I discovered it used a CAT menu in place of the IOS most of use might be familiar with. 

I know all of these features are available on the SG300-28PP. 

How achievable / plausible are these steps on a C6500?

• Jumbo Frames set to 9216,
  • Enabling IGMP Snooping,
  • Multicast forwarding or filtering,
  • IP address of IGMP Querier ( Can the C6500 be a IGMP Querier?)
  • Enabling a IGMP Querier,
  • IGMP snooping fast leave,
  • Dynamic multicast router port (is there an option for this on a C6500?)

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First let me say that the 6500 and the SG300 are very, very different in their capabilities. The 6500 is much more powerful and more sophisticated than the SG300. I am not clear what the Dynamic multicast router port is and so do not know if the 6500 has that. I am confident that the 6500 has the other capabilities that you list.

Second let me say that while the early switches used the CAT OS that any 6500 that you are likely to use will be the IOS based Enterprise class switch. There are many options that you can configure on the 6500 and if you are not familiar with these switches you may find it challenging to build the configuration of the 6500.

HTH

Rick 

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card