cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using archive download-sw command with scp

Cisco42
Level 1
Level 1

I am receiving an error while trying to use the archive download-sw command. I have verified connectivity to my FTP server (ping and ran a successful "copy" command). I am upgrading a 3560-X running 12.2.55 to 15.2.4. Below is the output:

SW1#archive download-sw scp://<user>:<password>@<IP address>/Cisco/IOS/c3560e-universalk9-tar.152-4.E10.tar

Could not buffer tarfile...using multiple downloads
examining image...
%Error opening scp://<user>:<password>@<IP address>/Cisco/IOS/c3560e-universalk9-tar.152-4.E10.tar (No such file or directory)
%Error opening flash:update/info (No such file or directory)
ERROR: Image is not a valid IOS image archive.

I see examples of TFTP and RCP but is SCP or SFTP supported? 

17 Replies 17

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

is this FTP or SCP ? FTP run standard port, SCP run secure port.

Try manually upload config from device to SCP server is this works ?

check below :

path correct

do you see any request in serer side from device ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

is this FTP or SCP ? FTP run standard port, SCP run secure port.

SCP/22

Try manually upload config from device to SCP server is this works ?

Yes, this works.

path correct

From WinSCP UI: /Cisco/IOS   

File is located in that directory (file name: c3560e-universalk9-tar.152-4.E10.tar)

do you see any request in serer side from device ?

Yes from the logs I can see session open with user and session quickly close on the FTP server. Not sure if I have the right syntax or not. 

archive download-sw scp://<user>:<password>@<IP address>/Cisco/IOS/c3560e-universalk9-tar.152-4.E10.tar

Hi,

Not sure if 12.2.55 supports SCP or SFTP. Here are several examples for 12.2.53 version but they are all pointing to TFTP

Examples

This example shows how to download a new image from a TFTP server at 172.20.129.10 and to overwrite the image on the switch:

Switch# archive download-sw /overwrite tftp://172.20.129.10/test-image.tar

This example shows how to download only the software image from a TFTP server at 172.20.129.10 to the switch:

Switch# archive download-sw /imageonly tftp://172.20.129.10/test-image.tar

This example shows how to keep the old software version after a successful download:

Switch# archive download-sw /leave-old-sw tftp://172.20.129.10/test-image.tar

This example specifies the location of two tar images without having to specify the path each time:

Switch# archive download-sw tftp://10.1.1.10/
c3750x-universal-tar.122-53.SE2.tar c3750e-universal-tar.122-35.SE2.tar

This example specifies the location of three tar images without having to specify the path each time:

Switch# archive download-sw /directory tftp://10.1.1.10/
c3750x-universal-tar.122-53.SE2.tar c3750e-universal-tar.122-35.SE2.tar c3750-ipbase-tar.122-35.SE.tar

This example shows how to upgrade stack members 6 and 8:

Switch# archive download-sw /imageonly /
Link:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/15-0_1_se/command/reference/3750xcr/cli1.html
HTH

path correct

From WinSCP UI: /Cisco/IOS   

File is located in that directory (file name: c3560e-universalk9-tar.152-4.E10.tar)

Not from WinSCP

Fro router test copy running to scp server see if that works ?

as another post suggested, SCP support in 12.2. ( been used this IOS Long cant remember) 

SW1#archive download-sw  ?  ( post what option you have?

Quick and Dirty i download simple TFTP  to your Laptop copy the image and upgrade, rather making complicate things

BB

Yes, id id copy from switch to FTP server. I logged into winscp just to verify path from my laptop. Yeah, I will just create a tftp server

Thank you.

Yes, id id copy from switch to FTP server. I logged into winscp just to verify path from my laptop. Yeah, I will just create a tftp server

i am bit confused here.  you mentioned here FTP, is this SCP or FTP ?

can you give me syntax of the copy ?

along with below command 

show version from switch

dir 

SW1#archive download-sw  ?  (if you type ? you get options) post complete message here

BB

Sorry, I refer to it a s an FTP server when in actuality port 21 is not allowed only secure protocols SFTP, SCP. 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Cisco42 wrote:

Error opening scp://<user>:<password>@<IP address>/Cisco/IOS/c3560e-universalk9-tar.152-4.E10.tar (No such file or directory)

Put a file in the file directory -- Any file.  A text file is preferred. 

Attempt to copy this file from the server to the switch and let us see what error message(s) pops up.

SW1#copy scp://10.100.249.18/Cisco/IOS/test.txt flash:
Source username [admin]? root
Destination filename [test.txt]?

Password:

%Error opening scp://root@10.100.249.18/Cisco/IOS/test.txt (No such file or directory)

I am able to copy my running config to the same directory (write) with this command:

SW1#copy run scp:/Cisco/IOS 
Address or name of remote host []? 10.100.249.18
Destination username [admin]? root
Destination filename [/Cisco/IOS]?
Writing /Cisco/IOS
Password:
!
5682 bytes copied in 13.548 secs (419 bytes/sec)

Both Directories are set to 0755 (Read, Write, Execute for owner, root)

Use a different machine as the server.  

I am now trying to access the file from a tftp server (different server). Similar results.

SW1#archive download-sw tftp://<IP address>/tftp-share/c3560e-universalk9-tar.152-4.E10.tar
Could not buffer tarfile...using multiple downloads
examining image...
%Error opening tftp://10.237.160.250/tftp-share/c3560e-universalk9-tar.152-4.E10.tar (No such file or directory)
%Error opening flash:update/info (No such file or directory)
ERROR: Image is not a valid IOS image archive.

From TFTP server:

TFTP Error from <IP address> requesting tftp-share\c3560e-universalk9-tar.152-4.E10.tar: File does not exist

@Cisco42 wrote:
c3560e-universalk9-tar.152-4.E10.tar: File does not exist

Ok, so both SCP and TFTP are saying the same thing.  Check the directory where the file is stored and see if the filename is present.   If the SCP/TFTP server is a Windows-based system, make sure the "hide file extension" option is disabled. 

Then check if TFTP is pointing to the correct sub-directory or not.  

If the problem still exist, try moving the file into a USB stick

Ok, I have this fixed now. This was not a problem with the command or switch IOS. I had the wrong syntax and was missing the root directory "/"
e.g.
archive download-sw scp://:@//Cisco/IOS/c3560e-universalk9-tar.152-4.E10.tar

As far as the issue with the TFTP, possible permissions issue.

ALso, I should have read a little closer. I thought by default the old IOS image would stay but it seems as if it got deleted (perhaps low on space). I will need to use the "/leave-old-sw" switch the next time. For now, I am going to need to see where I can find version "12.2(55)SE1 ". I do not see that on the version list.

Looks like the version is EOL i guess, you will not find from cisco site here.

may be google that .bin file you will see some download archive sites. or i least bother i use latest version to recovery in case anything go wrong as ROMMON recovery with 15.X  version

BB

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card