cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using Cisco Router LAN ports

lynxnebi
Level 1
Level 1

What do I have to do to assign DHCP or fixed IP addresses to my Cisco ISR 1100 router's LAN ports? Most of the configuration forums I have seen talk about setting up routers by their WAN ports, often times connecting to a switch that then devices connect to. This router has 8 LAN ports. I've tried configuring IP addresses to the LAN ports but it looks like the way I am trying is not allowed.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Those ports are L2 only so you would configure them as you would on a switch ie.  - 

int <x>

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan <x> 

etc

and then you would configure the L3 interface (SVI) for the vlan - 

int vlan <x> 

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

etc. 

see this for full details - 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/1100/software/configuration/xe-16-7/cisco_1100_series_swcfg_xe_16_7_x/cisco_1100_series_swcfg_chapter_01100.html

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Those ports are L2 only so you would configure them as you would on a switch ie.  - 

int <x>

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan <x> 

etc

and then you would configure the L3 interface (SVI) for the vlan - 

int vlan <x> 

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

etc. 

see this for full details - 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/1100/software/configuration/xe-16-7/cisco_1100_series_swcfg_xe_16_7_x/cisco_1100_series_swcfg_chapter_01100.html

Jon

This makes a lot of sense, thank you for the information. I was attempting to configure the LAN ports the same way you setup WAN ports which isn't possible due to them being a L2.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure exactly what 8 port switch module (LAN) port you have installed but usually those are layer-2 switch ports. Those are the ports you use for end devices and the actual routing and IP address will apply to the router interface.

Also, the onboard ports on the router are all routed ports that can connect to another router, firewall, switch, or host. 

HTH 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card