cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Video surveillance network

eng_saide76
Level 1
Level 1

i will design a network for video surveillance. i will use different VLANs for different departments.

i need my design achieve high availability,QoS and video traffic engineering.we can consider my network as a medium size. so my questions are

1- what is L3 switch can be used?

2-what is the high availability protocols can be used? 

3-what is L2 switch have redundant power supple and stacking and IGMP can be used ?

Appreciate response in this regards. Thanks

14 Replies 14

Hello,

both the 3650 and the 3850 would be an option. Both models are stackable, Layer 3 switches that support redundant power supplies. 

When you say high availability protocols, are you referring to HSRP/VRRP/GLBP ? You can use either one. Take a look at the data sheets for both models:

Cisco Catalyst 3650 Series Switches Data Sheet

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3650-series-switches/data_sheet-c78-729449.html

Cisco Catalyst 3850 Series Switches Data Sheet

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/datasheet_c78-720918.html

Thanks for your response.

i want to use  VSS for high availability. or can i use stack to achieve HA?

you tackled about 3850 and 3650 series for L3, what about L2 switch for access layer? i will use two layers only.  access and Core no need for distribution layer.

Hello,

VSS is not supported on the 3650 or 3850, you need something like the 4500X for that.

The layer 3 feature on the 3650 and the 3850 is optional, these switches work well as layer 2 access switches only.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Adding to other post reply.

we need to ask how big is this network (I know you have mentioned Medium) ? But how many users and how many stacks we are considering here.

if not too big, building VSS not a good idea, since it required more engineering skills to maintain if any issue reported as part of operation point of view.

Also you need to consider Cat 9300 Switches for long life point of view. ( because 3850 and 9300 are coming with same price).

Cisco have announced Cat 9200, not sure when this will available in the market for deployment, if you looking to deploy soon consider deploying 9200.

because CCTV is very important you do not like to break the surveillance, always suggested to sue dual port supply in access switches 

here is the design guide :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Video/IPVS/IPVS_DG/IPVS-DesignGuide/IPVSchap4.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

the network will contain around 150 Bosch Cameras divided to number of VLANs not defined yet.

regarding to stack, i mean achieve high availability by stack two switch at Core layer and uplink access switches by dual port to core switches.  

Hello,

in addition to Balaji's remarks, I don't think as of now any of the 9K switches support VSS. Some models of the 9K and the 3850 switches support stackwise virtual, which is very similar to VSS.

@Georg Pauwen  - i agree with this statement.

You do not see VSS requirement here, you can design simple high resilience setup , stack or virtual stack.

BB

please i need help to configure C9300-24P-E and C3850-12XS-S as a stack or virtual stack 

here is the Virtual stack configuration start with :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9500/software/release/16-6/configuration_guide/b_166_ha_9500/b_166_ha_9500_chapter_01.pdf

once you started configuration, you have any issues post the errors so we can asists you.

BB

what is the difference between stack and virtual stack? is C9300 and C3850 support both?

Stack :

switch stack is a set of Cisco EtherSwitch service modules or Catalyst switches connected through their Cisco StackWise ports.

virtual stack :

StackWise Virtual combines the two switches into a single logical switch with a large number of ports, offering a single point of management. One of the member switches is the control and management plane master, while the other one is the standby. 

C9300 and C3850 support both?

yes both supports, refer release notes.

BB

Dear, 

appreciate you support.

i intend to use (WS-C4500X-24X-IPB) as a core, is that model support virtual stack or only VSS which is the best practice?

kindly i need configuration guide for virtual stack/VSS  for that model.

If you are designing the network then you need understand the requirement and compare the models, what features your enterprise required and looking in the future point of view. and also look the budget to buys.

every technology has pros and cons, so we need to understand where we can implement or where we can not.

If you are unsure, then suggest always contact local Cisco partner to suggest for you, since these devices are expensive, and heart of your network.

4500 - support VSS.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-4500-x-series-switches/data_sheet_c78-696791.html

here VSS configuration :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/15-1-2/XE_340/configuration/guide/config/vss.html

BB

Dears,

after installation of configuration for my network, i need NRFU document template to do SAT (site acceptance test) for my network

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card