cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module not found message at boot up

Joseph Sanchez
Level 1
Level 1

A while back one of our 3925s bit the dust.  I figured I would take it home and see if I can revive it, maybe use it in my lab.  So I connect my console cable, and power up the router.  Everything seems to be fine then I get this message:

System Bootstrap, Version 15.1(1r)T1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 2010 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Total memory size = 1024 MB - DIMM0 = 512 MB, DIMM1 = 512 MB

Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module not found

I don't remember it having a VPN module in the first place, so I thought this was a little odd.  I pulled out the main board, and I didn't see anything resembling a VPN module.  It seemed to hang on this, though maybe it's search was delaying the boot process.  Anyone familiar with this?  

7 Replies 7

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Many (most or all?) later ISRs (38xx and later) come with a built-in (basic) crypto module.  (NB: I recall some of the 3800 series did allow you to upgrade to a slightly faster crypto module.)

Likely, that's what your router is referring to.

Joseph, 

Thanks for your reply.  If there was an issue with this module, would that be enough to brick the router?  I'll start it up when I get home and let it sit, but it seems to hang on that message immediately at boot.   

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I would think that would depend on how serious boot diagnostics consider the error, but it could.

It seems it does.  I booted it up today and let it sit for about half hour.  Came back and it was still on the same vpn message.  Guess there's no hope, I'm trying to find out if it was still covered under smart net.  

hi,

you'll see the VPN module appear when you upgrade the IOS router to a K9 security image.

could you upgrade/downgrade the IOS (other than a security image) via rommon?

Sorry I haven't updated this issue.  It was a hardware issue, and luckly it was covered under smartnet.  Thank you everyone for the help!

Joseph Sanchez
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry I haven't gotten back to this thread.  The issue was the main board.  Got a new board and all is well again.  Thank you everyone for your help.  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card