Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Virtual Switching System (VSS) Test on 4500-X

We already successfully deploy VSS on 4500-X and it is working fine so far. We need to test the Virtual Switching between pair of 4500-X. Either we Power Down the physical Active 4500-X switch by removing the Power Cord or reboot the Primary 4500-X Switch.

My question is can we do switchover command on the Primary to make it Secondary? or what are the best practice to test the VSS between pair of VSS?

Thanks,

Jehan

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Hall of Fame Expert

I usually test all of the above you mentioned here.  I would test link redundancy, sup redundancy, chassis redundancy and finally switch over redundancy.

This is assuming you have an access switch connected to both 4500 (VSS) using a Portchannel

Run a continuous ping from a device (PC/laptop) connected to the access switch to an IP address on the vss or a device that is connected upstream to vss and do the following tests:

Disconnect one of the physical links in the Portchannel and record the result.

Reconnect the link and do the same for the other link. Record the results

Pull out the primary VSS sup (switch-1). Inserted it back into the chassis and record the result

at this time switch-2 should be the primary

Repeat the same thing for the other sup in switch-2

at this time switch-1 should be the primary again

shutdown the primary switch (switch-1).  Turn it back on.  record the results.

wait until the the primary switch boots.

at this time switch-2 should be the primary

shutdown switch-2.  Turn it back on.  record the results.

at this time switch-1 should be the primary again

do the same thing with switch over command.

If VSS is configure correctly, during all these tests, you should not lose more than 2 pings at any time..

HTH

Content for Community-Ad